a perhaps not so kosher request

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - not sure if this is a request that might be offensive to sponsors here, but as I've been following discussions, and cruising knife store sites, it seems that the exact same knife is sold by different vendors under different names. Do any of you wily knife veterans have, or would be willing to compose, a list of these knives/models/vendors? Perhaps in my ignorance, it would be too many and too time-consuming to compile a master list?

I don't think it would be offensive but it would be an arduous task and impossible to keep current. From what I've learned over the years (albeit not much), it is common for "OEMs" to contract different parts of the knife making process to different craftsmen, thus having the same knife offered by different OEMs. I've also seen knives that were popular or "knife de jour" get knocked off by vendors contracting with different makers and then offered as "exclusive".

You'll be better served with asking particulars about a knife in question rather than comparing all the knives in the world at once.

Perhaps in my ignorance, it would be too many and too time-consuming to compile a master list?

Yes. Also, a "master" list is pretty much impossible. There are too many stores selling knives under their brand name. If you ask specific questions, you're likely to find a specific response but I very much doubt anyone will provide you with an exhaustive "master" list worth its name.

It’ll take a presidential executive order to mandate knife vendors to disclose OEM suppliers, including maker, sharpener, middle men etc. to provide compete transparency.

Here's my contribution

TF is OEM supplier to Morihei (Hisamoto) and JCK

Good luck trying to find out which sharpener did which line of knives for Tanaka or Shiraki. Then tracing which middlemen brokered the deal, and finding out which vendor asked for what specs on their knives not limited to HRC, length, heel height and grind. Then finding out who the handle maker is or who did the saya.

By the time you found out all this, you could open a shop of your own and we'd be flocking to you to buy the Mazaki of the month.

Back