A Statement on the Future of KKF Massdrops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait wait wait...

With my two last TFs I had an actual straight grind... with the first my grind was straight with everything, and with the second my grind was... with everything but different.
How many yo-handled ones with nicely fitting scales that weren't notched to fit the wonky tang?

The recent modern cooking auction made me realize my knife budget is a little below some other folks 🤣🤣 So I’d vote for 3 or 4. 2 could be interesting, although my vote would be to get watanabe to make a run of Ku blades to let people relive the glory of his monster blades 😂

I like how it starts off at $700, $800, then boom somebody drops the hammer with $1800. I think it’s at 2100 euros now.

Seeing those prices for a kamon makes me love our massketeers even more for getting him onboard for the last drop.

Rainbow Damascus Serbian Cleaver?

I second this. But I sometimes need to zest lemons for my dishes when I’m cooking gourmet dishes on a tree stump in 4k60fps in the woods. Can we get the cleaver made by Chelsea Miller so I can have an easily sharpenable carbon steel rasp built in?

I second this. But I sometimes need to zest lemons for my dishes when I’m cooking gourmet dishes on a tree stump in 4k60fps in the woods. Can we get the cleaver made by Chelsea Miller so I can have an easily sharpenable carbon steel rasp built in?

Next level brilliance right there.

Find a way to attach Guy Fieri or Alton Brown to this project and as the old saying goes, Katie bar the door!

I like how it starts off at $700, $800, then boom somebody drops the hammer with $1800. I think it’s at 2100 euros now.

Seeing those prices for a kamon makes me love our massketeers even more for getting him onboard for the last drop.
Sure. But I think this particular knife has NOTHING to do with any other KAMON. I think it was meant as a collectors item and this also explains the price. I doubt it will be used… Craftmanship is sweet from both KAMON and Philipp Mann and now the battle is on…

I'd be very interest in option 3 depending on the maker(s) and specs. Option 2 would be interesting especially in Aogami from Togashi or Y. Tanaka and a revered sharpener but I don't think their existing dealer network will be friendly to this option. Option 4 is also fine, price and specs dependent. Option 1 I have issues with not only because I probably can't afford it but because it turns a tool into something dangerously close to an article of conspicuous consumption without actually improving functionality (and sometimes making it worse). If you feel the need to flex there are many other options.

My personal biases remain in place: (assuming a gyuto) 220 - 230mm lengths, wa handle, significant distal taper, heel height not to exceed 54mm, very thin tip, thin behind the edge,... also not in the really simple steels. MagnaCut, Z-Wear/CruWear, ApexUltra, A2, 52100, CruForge V, AEB-L, 14C28N are all vastly preferable IMO to the just C + Mn alloys. The 1.2519, Aogami 1 & 2, V Toku2 class wouldn't be my among my very top choices but I'd definitely prefer them to the Shirogami/1095 class.
Edit: 26C3 or 135Cr3 also preferable to the just C + Mn steels but again, not among my top choices.

Last edited:
Sure. But I think this particular knife has NOTHING to do with any other KAMON. I think it was meant as a collectors item and this also explains the price. I doubt it will be used… Craftmanship is sweet from both KAMON and Philipp Mann and now the battle is on…

I see what you’re saying and agree it’s a very special collector’s item. But it wouldn’t fetch those prices without his name attached to the project (Dao Vua special edition anyone?). I was also implying the auction shows that kamon probably had more profitable ways to spend his time than the massdrop, but our massketeers managed to bring him onboard for it anyway (option 4 - incredible, hard to find Western smiths).

And I guess my preference also comes through - options 3 and 4 appeal to me to the most.

All amazing

I'm in for any of them and if I miss again I'm just going to cry myself to sleep until the next.

My 2 cents (not that it really matters since I'm not likely to get on the list and it's pretty clear this ball is already rollng):
4. Yanick
2. or 3. Many choices out there
1. booo
I'd also be really into seeing something in a PM steel with a 225mm option

Or even better, this is an all of the above, choose-your-own-adventure type situation, which would allow more of us to get in on it.

I'd think Markin could pull of something really special. I love my half S-grind nakiri from him. I'd also love to see a halcyon or the9 or catchside.

Milan, Yanick, Maillet, Raquin all seem like they'd be a good choice as well if they're up for it (I've never used any except raquin but I lump them kind of together most definitely unfairly.)

Kipp, HSC?, Devin, etc. don't seem like they have the capacity though maybe Hoss's health has improved but he's already done the ITK series which kinda fits this bill.

Someone who skews very high price point would be interesting if they did a more utilitarian knife but I don't know that it fits their ethos. Haburn, Nguyen, Lisch/Rader/Burke come to mind.

This would be it for me I think

While I’d love me a DT, I can’t speak for him but I don’t think Mr. Thomas is producing like he used to so I wouldn’t hold my breath for a DT mass drop. Though if he was amenable, I’d be in.

Someone who skews very high price point would be interesting if they did a more utilitarian knife but I don't know that it fits their ethos. Haburn, Nguyen, Lisch/Rader/Burke come to mind.

Would love a mass drop Haburn!

Hmmmmmm…..

331BC864-74A7-4DC2-97C8-21FFAE4C613A.jpeg

Back