A Statement on the Future of KKF Massdrops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just throwing this out there:

<arbitrary 'best' steel> + <arbitrary 'best' blacksmith> != best knife

Choose a blacksmith and let them offer you a choice of steels they are happy to work with.... or... Choose an exotic steel and see who might be willing to work with that order.... (they are likely to offer you grinds they are familiar with).

If you are lucky... maybe you can have both... but dont expect it.

Between Massdrop, HVB drop and possible Spåre ApexUltra MCX I am probably going to end up on street at the end of this year.

FF789A77-21AE-42FE-8130-A406145A239B.jpeg

I'm fairly certain that a @Kippington massdrop for his hook grind is a total non-starter based on his earlier responses to that proposal. His standard grind in 52100 might be a topic for the triumvirate to talk to him about. I have no idea what his response might be.

Even the European makers don't have ApexUltra yet although they are supposed to get a very limited amount later this month. I believe some of that is already committed for auction knives to benefit the Ukrainians. At present there appear to only be distributors for ApexUltra set up in Europe, the UK, and North American. I think the Oz smiths will probably have to wait.

I think an iron clad gyuto in CruForge V might be an interesting choice for option 3 (mini drop by up-and-coming smith(s)). It is an excellent forgeable steel that will probably become permanently unobtainium soon and several North American makers already have experience with it.
Edit: Knife Steel Nerds CruForge V link

Last edited:
MagnaCut / wrought iron San mai 300mm workhorse gyutos please. Business at the edge, party on the clad.
I could be wrong but I would suspect may not be possible. Wrought iron likes to forge weld at really hot temps (over 2300 ˚F) but it is quite possible that MagnaCut exhibits hot shortness when heated that high (over 2300 ˚F).

I'm fairly certain that a @Kippington massdrop for his hook grind is a total non-starter based on his earlier responses to that proposal.

I believe the minimum order for the hook grind is 100 units... @Kippington will then provide a 30% discount

I nominate you to ask @Kippington if he’d be willing to make 100 of those in the next 9 months.
Don't forget to ask for a 30% discount.

So using @Larrin edge retention data, you'd like a #6 cleaver (225x105) in 8670 hardened at 56HRC. Should need lots of sharpening and the height gives you life.
Thinking more like a 360x200 cleaver made out of sandstone. Or just a bag full of sand maybe. Or a bag of vacuum (?!) .... Okay went a bit too far down that road.

Back