A Study In Ironwood for Kitchen Knife Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN

Jlc88

Reaction score
I found it for $24 on amazon by going with the larger size. Thanks. Let’s give it a go....

cotedupy

Reaction score
Here's the most recent ironwood handle finished with 12 coats of wiping varnish mix. I'm starting to get the hang of this. :)

I was just googling shellac and it looks like someone has not only nabbed your picture DM, but also mistaken the finish... (?)

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score

jacko9

Reaction score
Dave using waxed shellac flakes dissolved in alcohol to a very thin consistency allows you to wet a cotton cloth and take a quick swipe that has almost the feel of wiping the wood with alcohol. You don't need a lot of shellac on wood to form a barrier to the natural oils in wood. If you want multiple coats it drys in less than a hour and you can build up 5 or 6 costs a day if desired. I use this barrier for all of my exotic woods that I finish with a wiping varnish. The varnish I have found the easiest to use is General Finishes Arm-R-Seal diluted 15% with mineral spirits. I apply this like you would French Polish with a cotton shirt ball and only take a full swipe and move from wet to dry only.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Dave using waxed shellac flakes dissolved in alcohol to a very thin consistency allows you to wet a cotton cloth and take a quick swipe that has almost the feel of wiping the wood with alcohol. You don't need a lot of shellac on wood to form a barrier to the natural oils in wood. If you want multiple coats it drys in less than a hour and you can build up 5 or 6 costs a day if desired. I use this barrier for all of my exotic woods that I finish with a wiping varnish. The varnish I have found the easiest to use is General Finishes Arm-R-Seal diluted 15% with mineral spirits. I apply this like you would French Polish with a cotton shirt ball and only take a full swipe and move from wet to dry only.
I've actually been thinking about giving shellac one last try (again). Thanks for the tip!

jacko9

Reaction score
That's fantastic!
Seven Years as a dining room table with food and alcohol spills and only a wet cloth clean up with no damage to the top. I'm a true believer in General Finishes Arm-R-Seal as I've used it for every thing from dining tables to desk tops without any complaints and I guarantee my work.