A tale of 2 stones.

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by PalmRoyale, Jan 12, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2019 #1

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

The stone fairy paid me a visit yesterday because I've been a very good boy and she said I deserve a reward for it. The reward is a yellow/light orange coloured stone. She carried it all the way from Japan, that chick has some serious wing muscles! Anyway, I gave it a test run and the top, the dark coloured side, is quite decent. It's medium hard, not overly fine and very fast. Lovely stuff and great for a quick touch up. The bottom was rough was with saw marks on it so I flattened it to satisfy my curiosity. Sometimes the bottom is decent, sometimes is pretty good and then there's this bottom, which is now the top. Imagine a very high quality, hard, fast and smooth suita... now make it medium hard, add some more smoothness, make it feel velvety soft and that's the bottom of this stone. Remember the purple Shoubudani suita I had for sale not too long ago? I thought it doesn't get any better than that stone but I was wrong. This stone blows it out of the water. It is simply exceptional in every possible way. I actually think it's a combination of tomae and senmai suita. And here's the kicker. The stone is 28mm thick, the darker, slightly coarser side is 4-5mm thick. The rest is all the good stuff.

The darker, slightly coarser side.
    20190112_122410.jpg
    The side where the magic happens. I'm pretty sure it's senmai suita.
    20190112_122400.jpg

Look at that flawless finish. I wasn't even trying, the suita side just does it without any effort.
    20190111_175748.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Jan 13, 2019 #2

zitangy

zitangy

zitangy

wow!!! lucky devil..... top and bottom can be used. Never tried it as I never thought of the possibility of the different joy it may bring.

Have fun.....

3. Jan 13, 2019 #3

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

Supporting Member

Congrats on the find, I mean gift!