A tough decision to make

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, Colin! You fought your ego (we all have one, so that's not a knock) and went with stability and quality of life. Now, blow people's minds over at "The ****".

Congratulations, Colin. And best wishes for continued success.

This has been a very interesting discussion, particularly because it is a real situation rather than hypothetical.

I think you went with your gut. If the Per Se gig was what you really wanted you wouldn’t have hesitated for a second.

It’s nice knowing you’re at that standard, and it can be the cool thing of ‘I turned them down’!

All the best for the new place

Shinacock (sha-in-a-****) hills golf club was the smarter move. After thinking about it a lot (with the help of you guys) I realized that although working for TKRG would have been a "new change" and the city move had its appeal, the golf club is the type of gig that I have been working towards for the past 15 years, I just wasn't seeing it at the time. Keller on a resume would opened up new doors, being the executive chef at the #4 golf club in the world will look pretty nice to on a resume and also open new doors.
It's funny most of you guys were pushing for TK, and that's what I thought would happen, it what I needed to here. All my friends and family were saying things like:
"Your going to pass down a job like Shinacock to work 100 hr a week for what?"
"Man if you take the job can you get me on the course?
"Man I would love to work there"
"Can you get tickets to the World Cup"
I didn't really realize that Shinacock was such a high end "exclusive/ elitist" club, do you know what it costs to join these clubs, my jaw dropped when I found out there are crazy people out there that pay over 1/2 million just to play golf play golf yet alone join the club.
Anyway it's got great pay, good benefits, 4-5 10hr work days, and 6 weeks payed vacation, TK couldn't offer that.

Wow, now that you explain the LI gig I would have taken it myself. Gratz sir.

Dude, Shinnecock Hills is one badass place! Congratulations on your decision, I don't think you can find many restaurant jobs that will offer the lifestyle (work hours and pay) that you have found. As Chuckles said--please post pics of your new knife.

Cheers

Sounds a bit like having TK in your resume would open you the doors to jobs like the one you are getting now based on your own accomplishments, so that looks like a wise move. Congratulations!

Stefan

I think you made a sound decision that will help with your quality of life and financial security. But I'm sad that we can't come visit you for a great meal now unless we plunk down a mil or two :groucho:

Congratulations Colin,well played! (see what I did there!)

I still can't believe you're at Shinacock...you know I'm an avid golfer, right? :D

Dude! If anyone here knew that the "LI gig" was Shinacock, you probably would have got some different advice. The place looks pretty awesome and aside from being a perfectly fantastic place to stay for as long as you'd want, it could also open doors to other similar type experiences anywhere else in the country than sound much better financially and quality-of-life wise than the TK gig.
If I was looking for financial stability I'd much rather work at a place where people line up to pay $750K for a membership or $2,500 for 1 round of golf at a non-member charity event, vs having to kill yourself every night to stay ahead of the trends and convince people to come back and spend another couple hundred bucks on dinner.

Now, that the details of work / life are out of the way, it's time to re-focus on what really matters: that commemorative knife! Given the name of the new gig, I think that the type of knife is obvious: a bonner! Complete with walrus oosik handle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2XBALa0ehQ) and a whale penis leather sheath.

Smart move. May it last a long long time.

I would...seriously, it wouldn't be the first time. Haha

Great to hear your getting a good break for a change, congrats!

Somehow I knew you'd make that choice. Good move IMO.

and a club no less.

As far as cooking after 50 goes? Only in spurts and those spurts are usually sprints. I can still smoke the 20 somethings. I mean like no-contest.

Congrats on the new gig. :happy3:

Some photos of the new place (if permitted) would be great !!!

I don't start till the 1st of the year.
I quit my old job last night, hated that place.
I may have had to "pass" on per se but I couldn't "pass" on this:
ed68ac8aece76266d0cc86ebb425024f.jpg

42edf5c7a69f130315acb223b651b205.jpg

I saw it only fitting

Back