Knives & Stones A video playlist of handle removal and installation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Just to let you guys know that I have composed a playlist on the topic of rehandling on my youtube channel which I recently started to put more effort into.

There is a ton of misinformation out there about how to install handles, particularly using the burn-in method on hardwood handles. I also receive a lot of questions about such topic, so I thought it might be a good idea to give everyone a more comprehensive review about the topic of handle removal and installation.

Enjoy, and please LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE!
James

There are 3 videos in the playlist,
Video 1

How to remove handles, both the traditional ho-wood handle and modern hardwood handle

Video 2

How to install ho-wood handle using the traditional burn-in method

Video 3

How to install hardwood & custom handles using glue

Great content, James. Very interesting to see how you do it.

Has knS always used hot melt glue or did you previously use epoxy (on your early handles)?

Great content, James. Very interesting to see how you do it.

Has knS always used hot melt glue or did you previously use epoxy (on your early handles)?
the very first samples could be epoxy, and we do occasionally use epoxy in some extreme cases. For example when a knife is extremely thin overall (some lasers), using epoxy just feels better with little wobble.

J.

the very first samples could be epoxy, and we do occasionally use epoxy in some extreme cases. For example when a knife is extremely thin overall (some lasers), using epoxy just feels better with little wobble.

J.
Does it matter what sort of hot melt glue is used? Is the stuff from the Reject Shop OK or is a premium product better?

Is it possible to burn-on a rosewood handle?
Short answer, yes. Most things are possible.
Longer answer- there are many different species of Rosewood. Some (if not many) are toxic and t=a lot of folks say that the dust from sanding irritates the skin. It's my understanding that African and Brazillian Rosewoods are especially toxic.
Any time you put burning smoke directly into the lungs is a bad idea, so make sure you wear adequate protection.

Does it matter what sort of hot melt glue is used? Is the stuff from the Reject Shop OK or is a premium product better?
Simple answer: just go for the cheap one.

There is difference between the melting temperature, setting time, however I found the ones designed for household glue gun just work fine.

as billy said, it really depends on the actual species of rosewood (thousands of them) that you are dealing with. If we are just talking about generic rosewood that we see in say Echizen handles (which ironically is not true rosewood, otherwise it will be banned from intl. trade) then they are soft enough to burn in. However in practice, glue is the more commonly used method since it is easier to make sure the blade is inserted stragiht.

Back