A Yo-handled knife for my girlfriend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelcrimp

Reaction score
Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted (too broke to constantly look at knives). But I am looking for a knife to get for my girlfriend on her birthday. I didn't fill out a questionnaire because I didn't feel it was necessary. We do a lot of cooking together and I thought it'd be nice for me to get her a better knife that she is comfortable with.

She prefers a chefs knife that is 210mm, 240 is a bit too long for her. She likes the Yo-handle, and does use the rock chop more than the push cut. Something that is carbon, stainless clad is not necessary(I'll be doing the sharpening for her). I would like for it to be under 150 dollars.

I was thinking of going the route of a misono swedish carbon(unfortunately the 8inch does not have the sick dragon laser etching), but was wondering if there were potentially better options.

Thanks!

Take a masutani vg10 santoku or gyuto. Choose based on whether you want height or length(respectively)

I'd go For the santoku because of the extra height. Easier to use and more long lasting.
I wouldn't get the misono swedish carbon because its an all reactive blade and unless you own it or use it, your girlfriend may not be able to keep up with it if she is a beginner. Hence i recommend something stainless instead. If you think shes ready then i think the misono is an OK choice. But there are other things that can be recommended in this price range that are stainless clad carbon core. Easier on maintenance that way.
If you think she cant handle carbon at all, then its best pick. Something stainless. That masutani has the best value in a beginner stainless knife.

Suggest you re-think your carbon steel requirement and consider stainless as well. My first gf knife was carbon - she liked it. The third time I pulled it out of the wet sink I repossessed it and bought her a Suisin Western Inox in it's place. Life was good. New girlfriends get a new knife and it's always stainless now. The Gesshin Stainless (better knife) or the Suisin (prettier knife) are my go to. If I ever find the right gf she can use my knives.

We live together and she has a couple of shun knives. I’m guessing they’re vg10, but they’re an absolute pain to sharpen compared to my carbon knives. I do understand that all vg10 are not created equal. But I would like her to get into the habit of having good knife maintence as we do own a catering company together. Perhaps something fully reactive like the misono isn’t the best choice.

Takamura R2 if you can up your budget a bit. If you can't, go Takamura Chromax. $125 for a helluva knife.

32832785_165488370814552_163709580499484672_n.jpg

We live together and she has a couple of shun knives. I’m guessing they’re vg10, but they’re an absolute pain to sharpen compared to my carbon knives. I do understand that all vg10 are not created equal. But I would like her to get into the habit of having good knife maintence as we do own a catering company together. Perhaps something fully reactive like the misono isn’t the best choice.

I dont see vg 10 as super difficult to sharpen. Cheap stainless knives are more painful. Vg10 and its supposed difficulty to sharpen is often exaggerated.

Takamura R2 if you can up your budget a bit. If you can't, go Takamura Chromax. $125 for a helluva knife.

32832785_165488370814552_163709580499484672_n.jpg

The Takamura looks amazing. Can you shed some light on the difference between R2 and Chromax? Are they both considered a semi stainless?

I dont see vg 10 as super difficult to sharpen. Cheap stainless knives are more painful. Vg10 and its supposed difficulty to sharpen is often exaggerated.

Sharpening my aogami super and blue #2 is a worlds difference from sharpening the VG10 knives.

Misono Sweden or masahiro virgin carbon are great knives in your budget, and they're very popular for a reason.
Misono has the higher tip and more belly so might be more your thing.
Masahiro is a bit harder and slightly less money and less reactive. But it's more classic Japanese style so it's up to you.

Forgot to mention, the knife will be used in a commissary kitchen, so plastic cutting boards as well as at home used on a end grain cutting board.

Misono Sweden or masahiro virgin carbon are great knives in your budget, and they're very popular for a reason.
Misono has the higher tip and more belly so might be more your thing.
Masahiro is a bit harder and slightly less money and less reactive. But it's more classic Japanese style so it's up to you.

I've heard the Misono is quite reactive, so i think it'll be out of the picture. The Masahiro looks promising though.

Chromax, IIRC, is a highly refined variant of A2 tool steel? SKD-something?

Takamura also does two VG10 series (IIRC, one just called VG10, the other Synergy). Probably the best choice for a gentle rock chopper.

For any use except careful pull cuts or very light push chopping, do overhaul the factory edge before use - some Takamuras come at 9 dps, you will damage that quickly with rock chopping. Doubly so if your board is bamboo, composite or plastic. Also, keep a 9dps takamura out of any plastic straw knife blocks, you will slice the straws lengthwise but dull the knife.

Chromax, IIRC, is a highly refined variant of A2 tool steel? SKD-something?

Takamura also does two VG10 series (IIRC, one just called VG10, the other Synergy). Probably the best choice for a gentle rock chopper.

For any use except careful pull cuts or very light push chopping, do overhaul the factory edge before use - some Takamuras come at 9 dps, you will damage that quickly with rock chopping. Doubly so if your board is bamboo, composite or plastic. Also, keep a 9dps takamura out of any plastic straw knife blocks, you will slice the straws lengthwise but dull the knife.

9 damage per second?, haha I have no idea what dps means. The takamura seems like too much of a laser, I think a heftier/workhorse-ish knife will suit her better.

So I understand that people here like the VG10 more than I do. The only VG10 that I’ve dealt with is from shun and I absolutely hated it. How different is VG10 when it is heat treated differently?

Does anyone have any experience with the Masamoto CT?

I don't think you'll find many VG-10 fans here.

The first posts were encouraging stainless alternatives to carbon. There are some fine stainless formulations that don't give up a thing to carbon on the stones and are much easier to maintain. And then there's Shun. Sharpening Shun's is a special kind of hell, they've got the VG-10, VG-Max and have had AUS-8 (or 10?) and it's all hell.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up about the vg10. Good to know I’m not the only one struggling on sharpening shun knives..
the gesshin stainless and suien VC look very similar in profile and size. I like the height at 47mm. Too bad the gesshin is out of stock.

Before I pull the plug, has one tried the yasunori from C k t g? It’s an astounding 49mm of height.

I’m thinking I’ll order both the suien VC and the takamura chromax and let her choose between the two. They’re vastly different knives in terms of steel and profile, but I think that difference will help her understand what she likes.

Looks very promising. Good belly on the knife as well as a decent height for a 210mm. Only gripe is that it looks pretty thick behind the edge and I don't have any experience thinning.

Just thought I'd chime in- the steel on the Suien VC is REALLY nice. I haven't used the gyuto, but I had the Suien VC cleaver (same steel) and found it took a very nice edge, held it decently, and didn't seem particularly reactive.

Just thought I'd chime in- the steel on the Suien VC is REALLY nice. I haven't used the gyuto, but I had the Suien VC cleaver (same steel) and found it took a very nice edge, held it decently, and didn't seem particularly reactive.

I actually saw on Jon's instagram that he said the Suien VC gyuto is blue #2 while the cleaver is not.

Different steel... the gyutos and petites are solid blue 2

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-vg10-damascus-gyuto-210mm-western-handle/
THIS.

Tanaka really knows his way around VG10. Surprisingly easy to sharpen. Not much different then his hyped (rightfully so) ginsankos. I bought the 150 petty and 190 gyuto for the wife and she loves them. I used to have the 240 too, but regrettably sold it to my co worker who absolutely loves it. They're so nice I don't use much else around the house (at work it's a different story). I sharpen them regularly and it's no hassle at all IMO. Though I do use Sigma select II stones.

Good rockers with a nice convex grind that's one of the best compromises between pure performance and food release. Tanakas Convex grinds really have a little bit of magic to them. Comparing Shun VG10 and Tanaka VG10 is like compering two completely different steels. If you didn't know they're made from the same steel, there would be no way to guess. They're that different IMO.

Apologies if I've repeated any suggestions, I didn't read through the entire thread. I know you mentioned carbon, but unless she specifically requested carbon, here're five solid stainless options to consider, in roughly your price range, give or take:

Gonbei
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/aus-10-series/products/gonbei-aus-10-210mm-gyuto
Hammered damascus
http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=89157
Mac Mighty
https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2912
Masahiro MV
https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2069
Masamoto VG
http://www.korin.com/HMA-VGGY-210?sc=27&category=280096

Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted (too broke to constantly look at knives). But I am looking for a knife to get for my girlfriend on her birthday. I didn't fill out a questionnaire because I didn't feel it was necessary. We do a lot of cooking together and I thought it'd be nice for me to get her a better knife that she is comfortable with.

She prefers a chefs knife that is 210mm, 240 is a bit too long for her. She likes the Yo-handle, and does use the rock chop more than the push cut. Something that is carbon, stainless clad is not necessary(I'll be doing the sharpening for her). I would like for it to be under 150 dollars.

I was thinking of going the route of a misono swedish carbon(unfortunately the 8inch does not have the sick dragon laser etching), but was wondering if there were potentially better options.

Thanks!

Unless I'm missing something, the JKI website states in the Suien product description that the petties and gyutos use the same steel as the cleaver.
This might be the cause of the confusion...
The gyutos are also described as petties, so it's probably just careless editing.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/suien/products/suien-vc-210mm-gyuto

yeah... looks like someone here copied over the petty description from before the suien non-cleaver knives were blue #2... i fixed that just now. Sorry about that.

Latest posts

Back