About Atoma lapping plates

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andur

Reaction score
The Atoma comes with a steel lapping plate and then the diamond plate is a thin one, attached with some double sided tape?
Does it come single sided? Can I buy a replacement lapping plate and then create a double sided lapping plate? Like a coarse/fine etc.
Thanks!

It's an aluminum plate and comes with a diamond plate attached to a single side.
And yes you can make a double sided plate by attaching a replacement diamond plate to the other side.

I've done this. Bought a 140 with plate and then the 400 to attach to the other side. Works. Perfectly.

but the price difference is like 5-10 bucks between the replacement sheets and the sheet+alu plate so i dont see why one would opt for the separate sheet only.
Was more where I am. For me it was storage space. I live small and it becomes a space saver.

How are the grits? I'll be lapping in the range of 1000, 5000 and 10k. Usually I use a fairly fine one, say 400 or so. How would you comment on grits?
I was thinking of getting the 400 for finer stones.

I use 400 usually. It works fine for 1000+ stones for flattening without leaving rough surface. Then I just use two fine stones to get smoother finish.

The Atoma comes with a steel lapping plate and then the diamond plate is a thin one, attached with some double sided tape?
Does it come single sided? Can I buy a replacement lapping plate and then create a double sided lapping plate? Like a coarse/fine etc.
Thanks!
Yes you can, same question i've ask before, you can buy from 140/400/600/1200.

My combo is 400/1200, someone tell me 140 is much faster than 400 but also left deep scratching.

For flattening, the 140 is the way to go, IMO. It's much, much quicker than the 400. If you have a few scratches on a stone after the 140, just remove them with a 400. Doing that is probably worth it only for stones with > 6000 grit or so, though. The 400 is useful for raising a slurry on finer stones, too.

As far as sharpening is concerned, I'd give the 140 and 400 Atoma a miss. I tried, and absolutely hated the feel. The blade just glides around on them almost frictionless, with next to no feedback—just horrible. (The finer grits might be OK for sharpening, but I've never tried those.)

My combo is also 400/1200. In most times the 400 is fast enough to flattening stones. If you have a very very rough stone you can use a P40 sandpaper (it´s much cheaper) and for the finish a Atoma 400/1200.

I can confirm that shapening knives with atoma stones is horrible.

I'd never thought of this (until just recently, after which I did a search here). Definitely going to make myself a 140/400. Maybe only slightly cheaper than having two, but I like the convenience.

Seems like it would help with atoma slippage too. I find if the stainless gets wet it can slip out of my hands pretty easily if it sticks on the stone or mud. Good idea.

i have seen people use suction cups on the back of atomas for grip. you know the the things you put on windows.

also grip tape on the sides could be good for grip.

I have the 140 and 400. Both have the pre- installed handle- much easier to lap stones with.

I tend to use 140 on medium and coarse stones, 400 on fine stones.

I almost bought one of the handled one's but thought that the extra price wouldn't be worth it. Lowkey regretting that now.
I think I'm going to try a double sided atoma and see how that works to help with grip then I might put some grip tape on the sides if that isn't enough.

I almost bought one of the handled one's but thought that the extra price wouldn't be worth it. Lowkey regretting that now.
I think I'm going to try a double sided atoma and see how that works to help with grip then I might put some grip tape on the sides if that isn't enough.

I usually put the Lapping plate in my stone holder, then rub the stone on the plate. Always helped me out cause the stone has more girth to hold on to.

That's a good idea, I've seen it done before but for some reason never thought to do it myself, I'll have to try it out.

I have Atoma 140, 400 and 1200. Use the 140 and 400 for flattening, and 400 and 1200 to make slurry. 1200 only on fine naturals. Tried to sharpen on them, don’t like it.
Like them really good for flattening and slurry making.

Sharpening/Thinning on an Atoma 140 feels like grating a knife on gravel if I'm going to be honest.

I recently bought the Atoma 140 for flattening. Yes double-sided is possible, but then you can't have the version with the handle. If I had my time over again, I would get the handle.

Back