Absolute Knife Neophyte/Groupie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootie60

Reaction score
Good day and may your 2022 be far more blessed than the past couple years!
Absolutely a beginner with knives, sharpening and I know next to zero about knife steel, brands,etc

Curious to learn, and thankful for the forums I have browsed so far. We are pretty much a single income family so our knife budget is a challenge. Hoping to learn, learn, learn here.
You guys ( I am from California, so this is a generic term possibly akin to "Y'all" when I say "Guys", just a disclaimer), thanks for so many interesting posts!
I work as a nurse at present and am hoping to retire in about 6 years, then maybe make all our knives super sharp, then my wife's family, then friend's knives and outward. Maybe a small business at some point sharpening? Just starting to invest in tools, living on YouTube videos...
Anyway, excited to get started.
Scotty

Welcome. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a lot of performance!

What do you have now for knives? It doesn't matter what it is, just helps give a baseline of where you're coming from.

Target a Bunka/Santoku/Gyuto you like and then shift focus to sharpening gear.

Knife brands to consider: Tsunehisa, Harukuze, Muneishi, Hinokuni, Takumura, and Kanehide all have solid products at obtainable prices.

For sharpening gear, the King NEO 800 is nice as it comes with a base. The Shapton Pro or Glass in 1000grit would also be excellent starting points.

Back