Advice for SG stone from dictum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SG 500 or SG 1K

• Shapton glass 500X2 thick

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Shapton glass 1K

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adam92

Reaction score
Since the shipping fees is already expensive to New Zealand, I'm planning to get more stone, can anyone give me some advise which stone i should get extra? getting one more extra stone only pay another 10 dollars, i decide get one more extra.
500 X2 Thick
1000?

Not sure do i really need 4k SG or not, because i have Uchigumori around 3/4k edge & a SP 2K as well.

Because i cut a lot of chicken thigh, tomato & peppers skin, now i stick with my 1k cerax only, i found the edge last longer than SP2K, my SP 2K already been purchase around 3 years still like new stone 😂😂😂

the 500dt is very good. and if you feel you need even faster get the 220, its usually very cheap. the 500 is more usable in general though.
i use my 220 a lot though, for thinning and chips and such.

also everybody needs a glass 4k! :) they just dont know it yet.

I still remember you told me 220 is much faster, I'll definitely get 220,500dt &1k for sure, now i just not really sure do i need 4k or not, because when i use 2k, lose toothy edge faster than 1k, & i need more toothy due to ingredient i handling, thinking instead of 4k, should i get one more extra 1k/ 500dt so can last me another few years.

1k for now is kind of my weekly stone, sharpening twice on 1k now.

My SP2k just sitting in my locker for long time now o_O, even i try to sell but can', because shipping to others country too expensive, no one willing to buy...

well if the 2k is too fine then the 4k will be even worse for you, probably. personally i have no problems cutting everything with a 4k edge. above that, lets say at 8k then i feel some steels (most/all stainless) will start to hesitate on tomatos and peppers and such. but never at the 4k mark.

i have never regretted getting more stones. you will always find a use for them imo.

the 2k is a good stepping stone to the 8-10-12 stuff imo. and a good stop for the crap soft german SS.

but yeah the 220, 500 and 1k sounds good. and you already have a 2k so.

but yeah the 220, 500 and 1k sounds good. and you already have a 2k so.
If i gonna get one extra stone, do you think 500 is better or get another 1k is better 🤔

it depends.

if you feel you like the 1k edge better than the 2k then get a 1k stone as your finisher.

but if you are working with lots of minorly chipped/very dull blades (friends/family) then get the 500.

also for thinning new blades a 500 is really slow. a 220 is fast enough. and a 1k is slow as a snail. its very nice to have the 500 after the 220 though for erasing scratches when thinning.

personally when i get coworkers knives they are all run into the ground. so i always start with the 220/diamonds. then directly to 2k or 3k. i used to start with the shapton pro1k but it was too slow. way too slow.

you probably want all of them in the end.

it depends.

if you feel you like the 1k edge better than the 2k then get a 1k stone as your finisher.

but if you are working with lots of minorly chipped/very dull blades (friends/family) then get the 500.

also for thinning new blades a 500 is really slow. a 220 is fast enough. and a 1k is slow as a snail. its very nice to have the 500 after the 220 though for erasing scratches when thinning.

personally when i get coworkers knives they are all run into the ground. so i always start with the 220/diamonds. then directly to 2k or 3k. i used to start with the shapton pro1k but it was too slow. way too slow.

you probably want all of them in the end.
That's true, I'm think 500 can sharpening my friend/ family as well, Thanks for advise!

you will probably end up having all of them sooner later :) but its a good thing imo.

i never knew what i missed until i got the 500 instead of a 1k. then i never knew what i missed until i got the 220.

it was the same moving up from the 1k, 2k much nicer. then 3k still much nicer, then 4k even better. and so on.

so in the end i kinda have all grits. and multiple stones/brands in all of them. and i like it.

Back