Advice for sharpening accessories

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PC315

Reaction score
Hi
I'm just getting into sharpening and have started with a naniwa combi 1000/3000 stone and a cheap 400/1000 no-name from Amazon. Right now all my knives are stainless steel Zwilling and other generic knives. Will soon get the Watanabe Nakiri. I know the sharpening rabbit hole can go pretty deep so was curious what are some things that I should get?
  • Flattening stone vs nagura stone?
  • stropping block?
  • Any other stones I should add to complete the set?
  • Anything else?
Trying to not go out there buy everything.... any advice appreciated! Thanks!

For me, a flattening stone with the stones you already have feels sufficient. I usually just strop on the stone as well.

Atoma 140 diamond plate for flattening. I like a strop too, but it’s a separate thing to learn and not strictly necessary. You have a coarse, medium, and fine stone; use those, then find out what you don’t like or want to upgrade in each category.

Absolutely no need to go above 3000 for the stainless steel knives.

A flattening plate (Atoma, DMT, etc.) is useful, but not necessary. You can flatten a stone by rubbing it with another stone. Or find a nice smooth and flat bit of concrete or ceramic paving stone; check that it is flat with a straight edge, and use that to flatten your stones. Or stick a bit of 120-grit wet and dry sandpaper with a spray of water onto a smooth flat surface (sheet of glass, granite bench top, ceramic tile, aluminium plate, or similar) and rub the stone on the paper. It'll flatten just fine.

I have a few naguras, but haven't felt the need to use them. I get a slurry in short order on my stones without using a nagura first.

I agree with @GorillaGrunt. Wait until you figure what you don't like about what you have now, or what you are missing, then buy what think you need.

Atoma 140. It will change your life.
I found cheap Belgian Blue very effective for deburring. The abrasive particles — I don't remember the name — are almost round. Too slow for sharpening knives, great for grasping the burr without creating a new one.

Magnum Sharpie.

The aforementioned flattener - mine is from JKI, works fine.

I like a stone holder though a damp cloth on the counter will do.

If you have a double sink, make a bridge for the divider, don't span one of the basins...it just blocks using the basin
also the divider isinherently more stiff and stable than any spanning type bridge.

Thanks everyone, yeah I need to take a sharpie to the knives and figure out if the angles are right. I was always worried about leaving chemicals behind...

As for stones, I don't know if it's the quality or just the grit, but I hate using my no-name #400 stone. No matter how long I soak, it keeps drying up and doesn't provide nice smooth feedback on sharpening. The naniwa on the other hand has been a joy.

Thanks for the diamond plate recs, I guess the problem with regular synthetic flattening stones is that they too will need to be flattened after use?

Yes, and particles from the dressing stone coming off. That's no fun. You can't use it for raising mud, and need to rinse after use.

also for raising mud can buy mini atoma for like $25

Great suggestions above.

- A good flattening plate, Atoma 140 or DMT XXC.
- A good coarse stone, lots of options here : Naniwa Pro 400, Shapton Glass 500, Cerax 320, Shapton Pro 320
- I have some nice leather strops I never use, I much prefer clean denim (no paste or anything) on veneer backing and you can whip one up with a scrap pair of jeans and some scrap veneer.
- If you like sharpening over a sink, a piece of 2x4 is all you need, notch the end so it sits on the sink's edges. Mine is treated so it doesn't twist with humidity. I had some laying around from various project.

When I got my Atoma 140 with Tools from Japan I got a simple but effective bridge with it. Never used a bridge before, like it, find it convenient, but no absolute necessity.

@HRC_64, that mini Atoma is new to me. Would you have a link?

When I got my Atoma 140 with Tools from Japan I got a simple but effective bridge with it. Never used a bridge before, like it, find it convenient, but no absolute necessity.

@HRC_64, that mini Atoma is new to me. Would you have a link?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132514988113

+1 on sharpie (did anyone ever think great name?)
+1 Atoma flattening
I also like raw leather strop and wine cork, both rather inexpensive/free
If you play with Jnats I also recommend something to put precise amounts of water to keep constant slurry consistency

+1 on atoma 140, for stropping piece of leather with CrO works well

Back