Advice needed on a yanagiba.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
I am looking for a good carbon 300mm yanagiba in the $250-$350 range. This will be the first knife of this type that I have owned and am purchasing it to get paper thin slices on fish and produce. Is carbon the way to go for the blade material? I found this online made of Blue Steel #2. Does anyone know much about the Mizuno Hontanren series of knives?

http://japanesechefsknife.com/HontanrenSeries.html

Thanks

I'd take a good look at the Masamoto KS. If you can hold off a bit Korin usually has a 15% off sale a few times a year.

Dave

I'm afraid I can't help you, except to say that it's probably worth a phone call to Jon at Japanese Knife Imports. It looks like he has a number of yanagibas in stock that fit the description of what you're looking for, and I'm sure he wouldn't steer you wrong.

Any knife you buy in that price range will behave similarly.

I like masamoto better over mizuno. And a yoshihiro Jon sells is a deal.

Knowing what I know now and having had some yanagiba/sashimi slicers, within the budget, I probably would go for Suisin shironiko with Jon@JKI for white steel option. Monzaburo blue#2 at JKI or AFrames might be a choice if you want blue #2.

Since you asked for Mizuno Hontaren which is slightly over the budget, Suisin aokino should be priced similarly and will be my pick, the look of machi and kanji puts it in my favour over Mizuno. Jon should be able to get you one too, although it is not on his site.

Back