Advice sought: Fixing a cracked wa-handle.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by DitmasPork, Jan 7, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2019 #31

inferno

inferno

inferno

i would epoxy it and CLAMP it shut! yeah clamps. to make the crack disappear. epoxy does not work with large gaps. no glue does to be honest. should be minimal gap. glue has good strength when bonding stuff tight, its not a good "building material" since its so weak in bulk.

and yes all types of ebony are quite brittle and crack prone in my opinion. I have cracked about 5 of these on purpose to get them off knives i've bought.
    I would never use any ebony type on my own handles. its just not good enough i think. ebonys are preeetty much my least fav woods. and they dont even look good.

I have used ziricote which is also a black wood and its less crack prone and a tougher. turkish walnut can also get very dark with oils and its not brittle/cracky at all. its quite the opposite. its used in rifle stocks. its regarded as the very best material for rifle stocks even. and the most expensive.

also all types of ebony i have encountered smelled very bad and unpleasant. this is reason enough to not use it imo.

i'm not a pro knife maker or carpenter. but i have made about 15 or so handles, and have worked as a "cabinet maker"/furniture carpenter and also 10 years in repair/paint of everything wood. so ymmv.

2. Jan 13, 2019 #32

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

+1 on clamping, better aesthetically and structurally wiht a minimal amount of due process.
    traditiona j-knife tang is not parallel but rather is an interference fit...and any crack messes this up...its just geometry

3. Jan 13, 2019 #33

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Forum Founder Professional Craftsman

Glue? Epoxy? That's so 2013!

You need Bondic

JoBone likes this.
  4. Jan 13, 2019 #34

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

The 12 year old in me giggled.

bahamaroot and DitmasPork like this.
  5. Jan 13, 2019 #35

JoBone

JoBone

JoBone

Cool, thanks for sharing. I want to bust up a handle just to give it a try.

Dave Martell likes this.
  6. Jan 17, 2019 at 12:14 AM #36

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

[Note: I had mistakenly posted this first on my cracked cutting board thread—not getting on with wood this season!]

Fixed it. Filled the crack with Krazy Glue, waited for it to cure and subside, filled it some more—used a small piece of wood as a sanding block, used a coarse sandpaper, followed by a finer wet sandpaper. Not a perfect job—might go back and smoothen it more—but good enough, handle overall is smoother, since I took the wet sandpaper over the entire handle. Doesn't need to be perfect, not planning on selling it. I may have taken off a hair too much ebony around the crack, but needed to in order to get the glue to be seamless with the wood.

Yes, I need a humidifier.

Looking forward to a slow night when I can oil up all of my hos to avoid a repeat.

Thank you for the advice!

[​IMG]

milkbaby, Kippington and DevinT like this.