AEB-L knife questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all for the education. I have ”narrowed” it down to the following that I could obtain in a reasonable amount of time. All are different. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated as deciding is way too hard!
Shi.Han
Dikristo
Curtolo
Rose City
Red Tail
Alex Horn
NDM Chef
Kanehide P60 gyuto
Jamison Chopp
Rip Knives
Erickson Euro Chef
Newham

Leaning towards Shi.Han, Dikristo, Horn or Chopp. Maybe Rose City. Newham if I get drunk.
Go get drunk :D
K think ShiHan, Horn and Chopp would all be tops, stylish, great cutters.

I've seen Rose City in person, they strike me as a little flat ground, but never actually used one.

This IG post from crokercutlery.com caught my attention since the knives are in AEB-L. I’m not personally familiar with Lopiccolo.

That is nice. I like the edge and taper on the 210mm version. I may inquire about the HRC and heat treat if they have it.

In case anyone cares- after a few too many fingers of my favorite scotch Lagavulin , I went for the Newham. The covex grind, the seemingly continuous taper to a very thin point (hard to pull off and have consistent edge geometry methinks), the handle, the nice height for knuckle clearance, the shoulder for a good pinch grip, the centered balance point, the Nitro V steel at an aggressive HRC 64… all conspired against me. Good US$ to AUD conversion at least, but his prices sure have gone up over the years and no fancy saya (get a leather sheath instead). Can’t wait to get it!

In case anyone cares- after a few too many fingers of my favorite scotch Lagavulin , I went for the Newham. The covex grind, the seemingly continuous taper to a very thin point (hard to pull off and have consistent edge geometry methinks), the handle, the nice height for knuckle clearance, the shoulder for a good pinch grip, the centered balance point, the Nitro V steel at an aggressive HRC 64… all conspired against me. Good US$ to AUD conversion at least, but his prices sure have gone up over the years and no fancy saya (get a leather sheath instead). Can’t wait to get it!
Insanely handsome knife. Great choice.

I'm a fan of AEB-L, takes a crisp edge with lots of toughness 62-64hrc is very stable at the edge for thin geometry. Here is one thined to 0 at 62hrc. Not an edge retention monster but the ease of sharpening makes up for it in my mind, and still better that lots of common steels like 26c3 and blue2 at the same hardness.

Attachments

• 20220413_090922_001_001.mp4
    8.7 MB
  • 20220413_092510.jpg
    20220413_092510.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 14
Back