Air Fryers

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by Keith Sinclair, Feb 12, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 12, 2020 #1

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Have seen these on TV went to Sam's club they had three models. Got thinking of trying one. I don't deepfry at home too much oil waste. Was wondering if folks here have used and opinions of them.

2. Feb 12, 2020 #2

Chuckles

Chuckles

Chuckles

Supporting Member

3. Feb 12, 2020 #3

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Aren't these convection ovens?

YumYumSauce likes this.
  4. Feb 12, 2020 #4

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

We bought a Ninja Foodi (stupid name) toaster oven recently that includes an air fryer function. I don't know how that compares to a dedicated air fryer, but it works okay for certain things. It does a nice job with frozen french fries; they come out crispier than in an oven. I've used it for making plaintain chips and that works okay.

With my limited use so far, it's certainly not a substitute for the deep-frying I do in a wok for Chinese dishes, or Tempura. Can't get the same texture. It's useful once in a while, but I wouldn't take up the counter space or storage space for a dedicated unit. It was just a nice addition to the toaster oven that we needed anyway.

5. Feb 12, 2020 #5

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Woks are good for deep frying. Don't eat much fried batter foods these days. I do like Tempura. Every new years I take over Tempura station
    Cousin has one of those Tempura friers. Fry all kinds of vegetables even chiso leaves and shrimp. Just don't want to deal with so much oil.

Our toaster oven is very old. I keep rice cooker in cabinet, blender, Cuisinart etc. Just ordered a air fryer cookbook from Amazon give me an idea of what you can do with these things.

6. Feb 12, 2020 #6

Kgp

Kgp

Kgp

Supporting Member

I got the foodi for Christmas. Used it half dozen times. Fried chicken worked well as did chicken strips. Tried cod filets and didn’t work well. Too much moisture in the fish. Didn’t get crispy. Not a lot of capacity. If I were to buy another, it would probably be toaster oven style

7. Feb 13, 2020 #7

andrewlefilms

andrewlefilms

andrewlefilms

If you like asian food I've made tofu a couple of times in the air fryer which is a really easy way to give them some structure before adding them into stir-fry. Also a really easy way to make fried chicken

8. Feb 13, 2020 #8

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

I sometimes brown firm tofu low heat in a skillet. We eat Costco Salmon burgers. I'll cut up two potatoes steak size cuts put light olive oil on pan coat each piece leave skin on. Cook in oven lower heat 5min then turn up heat to brown 10 min. Then out of oven toss with garlic salt. They don't brown even but taste good with ketchup.

It's only two of us most of the time. We like the salt & vinegar chix. wings 5.00# Fridays at Safeway. The cookbook ordered give me an idea if something could use. We are seniors & try to eat healthy.

9. Feb 13, 2020 #9

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Yes, they are. Basically a small fan-forced oven as a separate appliance. If you have an oven with a convection option, you have an air fryer already (just not with as fancy a name).

Fairly good article here: https://www.wired.com/story/air-fryers/

M1k3 likes this.
  10. Feb 13, 2020 #10

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

That Wired article (linked above) points out one of the big limitations compared to convection oven bake or deep frying, and that's the small quantities you can do at one time. I don't know how the dedicated units work, but the air fryer function in my large toaster oven also requires turning or shaking the food halfway through the cook, because it's only getting hot air blasted on one side. You don't have to deal with oil disposal like you do with deep frying, but the actual cooking process is fussier and much, much slower than deep frying in a wok with a relatively small amount of oil (if you have a round bottom wok and the appropriate burner for that).

Air fryers are marketed on the premise that it's healthier than deep fried food. That's true on a 1:1 comparison, although the hidden fact is that many recipes require a spray of oil anyway to get a modicum of crunch, so you're not getting completely away from the oil content.

My wife and I are older folks now, and we do try to eat healthy. For us, that means cooking with fresh ingredients at home and only indulging in fried food once in a while. I might do an actual deep fry meal like Tempura or Schnitzel once every two months. More frequently I'll use the Chinese "passing through oil" method with a recipe, which uses only a very thin coat of potato starch for a brief deep fry to "set" the food, and then the wok is cleaned and the food goes back in for a stiry fry and final sauce. It's a relatively small amount of fried content in a larger meal, Chinese style, so it's not like eating a bucket of Colonel Sanders fried chicken for a meal.

If an air fryer could duplicate the texture and taste of what I can do with a small amount of oil in a wok, I'd get a dedicated unit. And the largest one I could find. But at least with this one unit I've tried, it doesn't come close. I'd rather eat fried food less often and have it taste right.

11. Feb 13, 2020 #11

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

We had Wok station at the hotel with three large woks. It's a great way to cook.

My friend Soy has gas burners got her wok in Chinatown cooks everything in it. Also by fresh fruits & vegetables in Chinatown.

Thanks for the wired article.

12. Feb 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM #12

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

Good for frozen breaded stuff(fish sticks for the kids), frozen french fries and reheating leftover pizza but just the latest gimmick otherwise.

13. Feb 18, 2020 at 4:38 AM #13

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

I just wanted to post a report on how good an air fryer is for a next day reheat of conventionally deep fried food.

I made some pan-seared halibut cheeks last night, and my wife made a side of Tempura battered green beans and Fresno chilies, deep fried in shallow peanut oil. Today for lunch, I tried re-heating the beans and chilies in the air fryer. It restored the crunch in the batter without overcooking the insides, just like they were fresh-cooked.

We could never get that kind of batter coating to taste right in the air fryer as an initial cook. But the air fryer did a much better job on re-heat the next day, than the results we would get by re-heating in an oven or microwave.

Keith Sinclair and M1k3 like this.
  14. Feb 18, 2020 at 10:13 AM #14

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

We reheat small amounts of food in a very old toaster oven. Still works . Bake, broil, or toast.

Draft saved Draft deleted