• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Ajikataya (Mutsumi Hinoura) W#2 240 KU nashiji gyuto w/ half octagon enju double horn ferrule

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderBear

Reaction score
Hi, and happy new year, everyone,

For your consideration is an 240mm Ajikataya (Mustumi Hinoura) kurouchi nashiji gyuto in White #2 with an upgraded half octa, half oval, double horn enju handle. I am the original owner - I bought the knife last summer (2019).

Measurements:
Edge length: 246 mm
Blade height: 54 mm
Weight: 205 g
(check the pictures for a length/profile comparison between this and a 240mm Watanabe)

Total length: 406 mm
Handle length: 145 mm
Handle to tip length: 261 mm
Spine thickness at handle: ~4.2mm
Machi width: 19.5 mm
Balance (check pictures): the middle of my index finger is about 55mm from the handle.

Specs:
Steel: White #2
Cladding: Iron clad
Finish: Kurouchi nashiji
Handle wood: Enju (Japanese pagoda)
Handle shape: Half octagonal half oval, double horn ferrule

Conditions: Really good, sparingly used
Usage so far: I've used it to bulk prep 3 meals. I also lent it out to @labor of love and @daveb in a mini passaround.
Sharpening: I touched it up twice, personally. I believe labor gave it a couple quick passes on the stone. Most recently, daveb has kindly cleaned up the patina on the blade road and given it a nice, bitey edge.

Price: $295 shipped CONUS (PayPal Goods & Services). International buyers pay $280 plus actual shipping.

Does not come with original box

Aaopk1ql.jpg

gVikvIil.jpg

G5pt761l.jpg

vOjodDnl.jpg

Balance point:
5Bkw5WYl.jpg

Compared to 240mm Watanabe
NmFelIUl.jpg

Finish (it looks really dark & glossy because I applied mineral oil to the blade before taking the picture):
vMZo115l.jpg

7sBeqwql.jpg

Other angles of the enju handle:

mTCMkbvl.jpg

SgGHLfMl.jpg

Why I'm selling this: Honestly, this one hurts to sell, because I normally would keep it, but... circumstances.
(1) The (not really) main reason is that at 246x54mm, it is oversized for me, although I think 205g is a really good weight for its size. I don't see much use for it in the future in my studio apartment because of its length though.
(2) The second (actual) reason is because my apartment was affected by water damage last month due to a fire in a unit a couple floors above me (thankfully nobody in the building got hurt). I need to sell a couple things to cover small unexpected expenses here and there (too small to claim with insurance, yet once added up they get large enough to be annoying - ie let demolition crew in to take out my bathroom ceiling? Wait, where the hell is my toothbrush charger?? - that kind of ordeal). Because of this I'll have to let go of hobby stuff little by little. It's not ideal.

Final words: As always, please set me know if you have any questions or need more pics/ measurements. Thank you for your consideration. Also, thank you for being friends.

CN.

Edit: I would also be interested in trading this for a Shigefusa nakiri.
Edit 2: I would also be interested in trading for a 240mm sujihiki

Last edited:
The second (actual) reason is because my apartment was affected by water damage last month due to a fire in a unit a couple floors above me (thankfully nobody in the building got hurt). I need to sell a couple things to cover small unexpected expenses here and there (too small to claim with insurance, yet once added up get large enough to be annoying - ie emolition crew in to take out my bathroom ceiling? Wait, where the hell is my toothbrush charger??). Because of this I'll have to let go of hobby stuff little by little. It's not ideal.

Final words: As always, please set me know if you have any questions or need more pics/ measurements. Thank you for your consideration.

Former property manager here.

Your neighbors who caused your loss OWE YOU. Politely inform them of the deductible and other expenses they caused you not covered by your renters/condo owners/building/association insurance and see if they will do the right thing. If they DON'T, take them to small claims court, you will probably win.

I have so many horror stories about the idiots upstairs, overflowing bathtubs, unattended candles, forgetting to turn off the sink, not attending a lit BBQ grill on the patio, etc. etc. ad nauseum. Once again, they certainly do owe you. Document what it cost you, ask them nicely first, but don't "be nice" and just eat the loss.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I want to add that I would also consider trading this for a Shigefusa nakiri (because I want to try one eventually)

Hmm, didn't look like I can edit the first post, but I would also be interested in trading for a 240mm sujihiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump and price reduction
280 shipped CONUS/ 265 plus actual shipping international

@mods, could you help me edit the OP? Thank you

Back