Akebono vs KS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently got a nice Akebono 240 gyuto from @Forty Ounce and I’m loving the profile! It’s the pointiest gyuto I’ve handled so far, and I’m curious how the profile compares to other standards that I haven’t tried. From pictures, it looks very vaguely KS-like (at least, more so than my other knives), so I’d be interested in comparisons from people that have owned both.

Mostly just interested in profile comparisons. I know the Akebono is taller than the KS and I imagine the grinds are different, although I don’t know in what way not having owned the latter.

I've had both, they are really very different knives, so much so that the profile similarities are only superficial. KS is even pointier over all since it is shorter at the heel and longer in length. I don't have either one anymore so take it for what it is, memory..... My example of KS had more of a gentle curve the length of the edge. It was very slight, but it surprised me a little since it looks very flat and it acts that way but technically not exactly flat. Could just be a variation of my example of course.
Not that you asked, but in my opinion Akebono is a much better knife overall, and especially given KS prices lately. Even without price Akebono is just a much better knife in my opinion.

Hold on to that akebono. The line has been discontinued, once the instock stuff is gone that’s it.
240mm has already been sold out for a while.

Still miss it sometimes. Never got the chance to compare them side by side. They were even separated in time by a brief period in which I had a Marko S-grind, which I didn't like quite as much as either of them.

The Miz suits me better, I think. Mine's a little less reactive, I like the 255 length with this profile/height, the slightly blade heavy balance is awesome, where the Akebono was slightly handle heavy, and I like the ho much better than the ebony K&S handle. But the Akebono still sings beautiful songs in my dreams. That was the first KS-profile I'd ever had, and it was glorious. Easy to sharpen with good retention, too. Having a hard time remembering what the grind was like, but all my hazy impressions are positive.

it's one of only 2 knives on my need to try next list, the other is shigehiro. nothing else interests me at the moment. i like the miz ks so much i dont even long for a custom length miz honyaki in white2 any more.

yeah i hate ebony handles, if i were to get an akebono that would be removed by me before even trying it, haha. mizuno stock ho handles are very good, i actually took my miz honyaki handle and put it on marko honyaki.

Back