Akira Sasaoka, Tosa? Blacksmith. Has anyone used his knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple friends have knives from him. One is apparently spectacular, the other one is underwhelming at best. Too small a sample size to conclude anything I guess.

A couple friends have knives from him. One is apparently spectacular, the other one is underwhelming at best. Too small a sample size to conclude anything I guess.

He largely does oem, right? Not sure that he produces under his own brand... at least not yet?

Have a honyaki wide bevel gyuto ordered from him. Excited to see how it compares to the more popular names.

Last edited:
Yep, it was direct but communication was difficult. I’m not sure if I ordered what I think I did to be honest haha.

Last edited:
@Brooksie has a honyaki gyuto from the Sasaoka brothers. He loves it

By the way, Akira does the sharpening, his brother does the forging

I ordered a sakimaru tako from him. The tip didn't turn out as expected (more rounded than angular and sharp at the tip). He said that would be achieved through sharpening (I think, language barrier was tough), so I'm not entirely sure what to do with it at this point.

Might want to send a pic to someone like JKI or Korin and see what they think.
Jon from JKI mentioned it's actually normal but when I compare it to other sakimaru takos, there's a clear difference.

You have to understand that these are from a very different region than the other single bevel knives you guys normally look at

You have to understand that these are from a very different region than the other single bevel knives you guys normally look at
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification, Jon. Any insight as to why they use this style?

Back