Alerts in bst?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick112

Reaction score
hi I see some rara knives is sold within 15 min sometimes, are there any alerts or how come? If a particular knife goes out on sale in bst once every month or once every second month, you cant just check the bst forum every hour for 30 days straight and still have a large chance not to be first. Or how is tjis done???

Click watch at the top of that subforum with email notification and carry a cell logged into that email set to receive notifications?

Hi thanks, I do get email notifications on threads that I create or pm:s. I already clicked on the watch button on the bst subforum, but do not get any notifications. Is it because I dont have permit to post in that forum? New member.... and can you enter a search word and only get notifications if the key word is mentioned in the post?

If you know what you're looking for, a WTB post is probably your best bet. Supporting membership is cheap and you can run the post immediately.

Ok I see, wasnt really aware of the rules, that might be an option. Do people have any success with wtb? Rarely see anyone write in their threads that they found a seller. Or I kind of never seen anyone write they found a seller, even for not so unusual knifes.

Couple times every year you get a chance at a unicorn at a bargain price.

Program your computer to press F5 on your browser every 5 seconds. That’s how to do it :D

Sure the hunt for some knifes can be fun, but its almost ridiculus how lucky u need to be to actually be first and get to buy it. Given its a rare knife or a really sought after knife

A couple of times per year sounds a lot
If you dont mean a chance, that it is for sell. And not chance you can actually buy it cause u posted a pm first

Where there's a will, there's a way, I guess. In the watch world, there's a site/app called WatchRecon that trawls the For Sale section of some popular watch forums (and reddit). It has a notification option for brand, price range, etc. Works well enough - I've benefited from it in the past. I really don't know if there's enough volume in knives to persuade the WatchRecon folks to tweak their code, but it's proof that it can be done.

To be fair, BST, isn’t the place to look for unicorns. Once in a while they pop up, but the true unicorns are usually traded privately or usually bought from Japan.

When was the last time you saw a River Jump, Togo Reigo or a western Kato listed here?

The hunt is half the fun. This is a first world hobby, after all. Take it for what it is. Stick around long enough and this year's fad will be next year's bargain. When I first began this trip 10 years ago a Suisin Inox was the epitome of the perfect lazer, and I couldn't afford one. Last year I got one LNIB w/ a great custom handle for about $250 here. It happens.

The hunt is half the fun. This is a first world hobby, after all. Take it for what it is. Stick around long enough and this year's fad will be next year's bargain. When I first began this trip 10 years ago a Suisin Inox was the epitome of the perfect lazer, and I couldn't afford one. Last year I got one LNIB w/ a great custom handle for about $250 here. It happens.
Don’t think you’ll find a Kato damascus workhorse for $250 in the next 10 years.

Don’t think you’ll find a Kato damascus workhorse for $250 in the next 10 years.

That's likely true, but then again with time and a recession or two, and a FB algorithm pushing bamboo lettuce knives with custom handles studded with rare gems surrounded by engraved gold spacers, it's hard to say for sure. :confused: More seriously, I meant to counsel that time and patience tend to pay off, and a little luck doesn't hurt either.

I think that we overvalue a lot of knoves and brands. 10 or 15 years down the road when Kato knives will not be made for 5+ years, it will become increasingly harder to sell a rare piece for those super high prices that such knife would command today. Collectors will simply move one to other makers and users will not care. That does mot mean that these knives will become easier to get - more the opposite - once their value will start to decline it will ne a tough sale for the owners who payed high dollar to get them.

I think that we overvalue a lot of knoves and brands. 10 or 15 years down the road when Kato knives will not be made for 5+ years, it will become increasingly harder to sell a rare piece for those super high prices that such knife would command today. Collectors will simply move one to other makers and users will not care. That does mot mean that these knives will become easier to get - more the opposite - once their value will start to decline it will ne a tough sale for the owners who payed high dollar to get them.

I’ll bet you an imaginary 6 pack of beer that you have this completely and totally wrong in 10yrs about Kato and Shigefusa.

Matus in your opinion, what are the most coveted brands for collectors today you would say?

And which brands could become collectors’ interest tomorrow?

I’ll bet you an imaginary 6 pack of beer that you have this completely and totally wrong in 10yrs about Kato and Shigefusa.
I totally agree with you, the price will keep going up and they will become even more rare as the ones who have them will not let them go easily, the best example of this could be seen with Billips(which can barley be found nowadays and if so for crazy prices) if we are referring to western makers and to hattori KD's if we're referring to Japanese makers. Prices will not go down unless people start flooding the market and I'm in doubt that will happen.....

Nick, this is hard to guess. One may want to have a look at what brands make knives where the prices exploded. It seems to come with either knives being visually appealing (Shigefusa, Ashi honyaki, Konosuke) or with a grind that was atypical (Kato / Workhorse).

In the last few years several custom makers have reached a rather high status like Rader, Andy Billipp, Haburn and more are rising. However their prices for the higher end pieces are already well above $1000 so while they may gently appreciate over time, I do not see overly large potential there.

In general I do not expect that apart of stuff like Yo kitaeji to get past $3000 as simply the number of people that are willing to pay that much is still limited. In other words - ‘proper’ art collectors did not discover kitchen knives yet. And once they will, they will go after custom knives, not those made in Japan that are made by undisclosed craftsmen.

Just an opinion of someone who knows awfully little about the ... special .... mind of collectors.

Latest posts

Back