All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone up for an all rectangle month of March? Of course exceptions for butchery, paring tasks, etc. Just using a nakiri or cleaver in place of your gytuo for the same tasks for a full month? We could share thoughts and experiences and what not.

Just an idea for something a little different. I know a lot of you folks already do this but many others don't.

Last edited:
As far as exceptions go, I just broke down a bird for chicken salad with my thin Lars. I’d give it a 7/10. So yeah. Get on my level.

As a warning though, I’m a lil dumb. I can’t wax all eloquent and whatnot about “how it feels on the board/stones”. It either went well, or it didn’t. I can make literal and figurative chicken salad, ya know? I just buy all this fancy **** because I can, and want to leave my kids nice ****.

Do you have a rectangle petty knife? 🤔

1676865767369.png

I feel like you need alliteration to make this a thing. Square September? Parallelogram April?

So I went through a process awhile ago, "operation full cleaver," took a couple years and I completed it last year. I used to have a pretty "nIce 🫤" gyuto collection.

It was much nicer than the cleaver collection I had. But I had collected some nice rectangles along the way. Still having those gyutos made me want to use them and atleast for me was kind of a distraction. At this point I had become comfortable with cleaver and really preferred a cleaver to a gyuto, but I'm still a knife nut and cool knives are cool knives. Admittedly, there was numerous gyutos that I wanted to keep, but sold them due to financial stress. And I still miss them and kind of wished I still had them. That being said, I don't feel this ambiguous distraction that I used to feel. And I don't pull out my gyutos and stare at them all creeper style, wasting time, like I used to.

I did end up with 2 gyutos left. One is a migoto white 1 240, and the other is takayuki ginsan non-Damascus. Thats all i have left, after collecting for 8 years😭. Both gyutos that I like alot and would be content using as daily drivers, but I don't. I busted them out sometime last Novemberish for a couple of shifts, but it's been pretty much all cleaver. Last week, i didnt have any butchery knives with me, so i used my Felipe to break down a top round. I don't really think about gyutos anymore. So I'd be down, another great cleaver thread to follow.

The one adjustment I would have to make is I've been using a small vintage victornox on the line. But I guess I could substitute for one of my beater chopper king cleavers for March.

Back