Alloy Banding?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pd7077

Reaction score
I’ve been using my Togashi B#2 honyaki for the past couple of weeks, and it’s been pretty awesome. The patina has slowly started to set in, and today I noticed that the patina had a bit of a pattern to it. Is this alloy banding, and is there a way to accentuate it through polishing?

YsWQe2h.jpg

I’ve been using my Togashi B#2 honyaki for the past couple of weeks, and it’s been pretty awesome. The patina has slowly started to set in, and today I noticed that the patina had a bit of a pattern to it. Is this alloy banding, and is there a way to accentuate it through polishing?

YsWQe2h.jpg
Super fine naturals in my experience. 10k +

I normally etch it mildly after a polishing. a) clean it thoroughly with either alcohol or acetone. b) apply with cotton wool; not dripping wet or damp the cotton wool, i use either lemon or vinegar. c. to speed up the process 1) either heat up the blade with hot water or 11) heat up the vinegar.. Stop when you are satisfied with the contrast level d) wash it off with either lots of water or use ammonia based solution ( windex; a window cleaner)....

Have fun.. Z

Back