Aloha and a question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchic

Reaction score
Hello all from Hawai'i.

I'm here because I buy a lot of cookware for my niece and am always looking for advice from experienced hands regarding more tools/cookware/knives, etc. to support this tasty passion of hers.

The latest question I'm seeking assistance with is regarding:

1. cutting glove
^ I don't know what this officially called but I know it is something that cooks wear to protect their hands when working with extremely sharp tools such as kitchen knives, Microplanes, etc. What's the best brand/model to purchase for her?

2. flattening stone
My niece has a Suehiro 1200 grit whetstone and I just bought her the Arashiyama 6000 stone. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think she needs a Nagura but I do think she needs a flattening stone so is there a best flattening stone to get her?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums! I see you have no time to loose and just want to jump right in :) I am not sure about the glove - I do not think many around use one. The Arashiyama should not need a nagura. The best flattening tool is of course a diamond plate - Atoma 140 is probably your best choice. Depending on where you are located the diamond flattening plate from JapaneseKnifeImports.com is also worth a look.

The best flattening tool is of course a diamond plate - Atoma 140 is probably your best choice.
Done. I just ordered it from Chef knives to go. It's my first order with them but I've read on other forums that they are a reputable company.

Hopefully, someone can chime in regarding the gloves. Or should I make a separate post for that?

In my kitchen (and others I've worked in) the "glove" is required of new, junior, cooks until they demonstrate some proficiency with a knife. It's kinda thought of as the glove of shame. Corporate regs require that I have one available for use - but do not require anyone to use it. Me thinks such a gift would not be a good idea.

Well, she doesn't have to use it. I'd just like to make it available much in the same manner as your company has. I'm just not sure what is a very good brand that is safe and dependable.

Hi Chefchic,

In your opinion;

Is your niece proficient with knives (FWIW I am not worried about micro planes - mandolins Yes / micro-planes No)?

If you know;

How long has she been in the industry?
What is her current position (if she is in the industry)?

TjA

As far as I know, she is very proficient with knives. After I finish this thread, I wanted to post a thread inquiring about essential cookware but I have already bought her three knives:
- Tojiro Shirogami ITK Gyuto 210mm
- Miyabi Mizu SG2 kit (3.5‑in Paring Knife & 8‑inch Chef's Knife)

She uses these very well from what I've seen. I know many may not like the glove but I'd still like to purchase one for her even if she never uses it ever.

As far as her current position, officially she is an apprentice. I'm not sure how long she has been there but I can ask later. But she has been cooking since she was very young.

@MontezumaBoy - I have not bought any cut gloves yet. I only bought the flattening stone that @Matus recommended.

Last edited:
Back