American burger

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh, you are in Maine you can check this out easy. The other great umami bomb is to steam moules in a minimum of liquid, reduce it to a glace, chill it, and mix into your mayo as you are making it. A fine condiment.

We have a wealth of quality mussels for sure. That one never occurred to me... Have to try it out for sure. That post count on said post is pretty suitable btw, IMO :spiteful:

Been meaning to get some black garlic, saw it at Fairway recently. Do you roast then add to the mayo, or go raw? Never used it before.

Roasted garlic is good too, made to a mush & infused into whatever you like:happymug:

Roasted garlic is good too, made to a mush & infused into whatever you like:happymug:

Yup. I like to slow cook it, whole heads covered in a fairly neutral oil, at 250-275F for about 75-90 minutes. You get nice temp control with the oil bath, and roasted garlic infused oil as a delightful byproduct:D

I like using mushrooms/shellfish/fermented foods to add umami for the same reason I don't use citric acid every time I need to brighten up a dish. The lemon or vinegar brings other flavors that lend a complexity that citric acid alone won't bring. Sometimes I'll even do that with salt, adding anchovies or something like that, but I have a bad salt tooth and will reach for that box of diamond crystal anyway.

Salt enhances flavors, I don't understand when people say I don't use salt

I hate blandness more than anything like really? Heard it best from a fellow Cheffer, salt and pepper is like wiping your bum, you ever forget to wipe your bum

Sorry for the crude metaphor, just the best way I've heard it described before

Indeed it is orange, a lot of home cooks, nothing against them or the home cooks here are different, don't season things much at all

Not to derail the thread but I've tried to get family and friends to at LEAST salt their food, preferably with non-iodized salt, but it usually falls on deaf ears. Yet they (at least claim to) love my cooking. My wife is a total kosher and sea salt convert, thankfully!

Not to derail the thread but I've tried to get family and friends to at LEAST salt their food, preferably with non-iodized salt . . . .

What's your objection to iodized salt? I understand that a normal diet may well include enough iodine from other sources, but is there some problem with iodized salt as a partial source of iodine?

I personally use sea salt... love it, and also himalayan pink salt its even healthier and better for you .

There are so many exotic salts and I love a lot of them smoked sea salt is a good one

Don't worry about it CoqaVin we will get back on track.
Anyone ever tried coffee rubbed cheese burgers?
They say that coffee adds depth and brings out the flavor of the meat.

Haha true that, if you simply can't salt and pepper your burger there's no hope for u lol jk

Back