American football

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grew up in the bay. Montana was my sports hero growing up. I held onto his goathood as long as I could. TB closed the door on the convo after 28-3. Everything else is icing on the cake for him.

The tough part is if you were a Brady hater like myself, you saw potential in Mahomes taking the mantle in the future. But that's gonna be near impossible now, being that a 43 yr old Brady beat him in a SB.

Mahomes would have to hope for a rematch, beat an older Brady, and then go on to win 6 to 7 more sb's after. Tough. Love that Romo brought this up during the broadcast.

Sean Taylor would have been GOAT safety, yes better than Ronnie lott. fight me.

Can't rely on the what if's. RIP Taylor a true great one but unfortunately he didn't get the chance to be the goat. No telling what would have happened if he kept playing. Just look at Patrick Willis, he ended up retiring from a toe injury and not wanting to end up with serious CTE.

Just look at Patrick Willis, he ended up retiring from a toe injury and not wanting to end up with serious CTE.
I remember him running down a WR against the cardinals (I think?). I miss watching him stack and shed blockers in the run game.

I understand the argument that it's difficult to compare players across eras, or across positions. But I don't get the argument that participation in a team sport makes determination of a sport's greatest player impossible or pointless

This!

Without a doubt this is possible in a team Sport, because if it’s not we basically say that we can’t discuss Jordan’s greatness because Bill Wennington, Judd Buechler and Luc Longley were also key parts of those Bulls dynasties (don’t forget Bison Dele, RIP!).

There clearly are players that are much more important to a teams success than others. And in Brady’s case (and LeBrons) you also have to acknowledge that they won no matter who played with them. Eg: the supporting cast was revolving, but the success stayed .... with those players. Every team that LeBron left stunk up the place afterwards.

Klay is just high on life. Emphasis on high.

meh, nothing wrong with that. I think he’s one of the most down to earth guys in pro sports and there’s a reason why he’s beloved by teammates and opponents.

Not sure I should feel sorry for a rich guy playing a child’s game for a living, but I kinda feel sorry for him having to sit out another year with a devastating injury.

Anyhow: how bout that Brady guy? 🤪

meh, nothing wrong with that. I think he’s one of the most down to earth guys in pro sports and there’s a reason why he’s beloved by teammates and opponents.

Not sure I should feel sorry for a rich guy playing a child’s game for a living, but I kinda feel sorry for him having to sit out another year with a devastating injury.

He sure seems like a solid guy, and yeah, the league is less fun without him in it.

Anyhow: how bout that Brady guy? 🤪

Who? ;)

Ok, now that I think of it: individual sports is a lot easier: is there any doubt Usain Bolt is the greatest sprinter of all time?
Assuming being best at sprinting is the only requirement, then there can't be any doubt or objection.

Every sport has question marks regarding drugs, and has for a long time. If that is brought in, then everything becomes a bit less clear, but it's an impossible thing to pinpoint so what can you do.

Other than drugs, there isn't even a way to cheat in sprinting other than a massive conspiracy, which is highly unlikely. Sprinting is conceptually about as simple as it's possible to get. So I think there's no real way for anyone to say it's not Bolt, until someone beats his records.

I almost posted a couple of times earlier but didn't want to get too OT. I agree that individual sports are the only place for GOAT discussion. On previous talks of the most dominant athlete in their sport, Aleksandr Karelin was a Greco-Roman heavyweight and and the embodiment of dominance. 4 consecutive Olympic appearances, with three gold and one silver. 29 championships all together, 887-2 record, was unbeaten for 13 years until his final match (that last Olympics), and for six of those years didn't lose a single point.

Anyway, I'm stoked on the Wentz pick up for Indy. If he doesn't entirely **** the bed (which I don't see), we got him at a really good price. Reich wants him here, he wants to be here, and hopefully we can get back some karma by turning his career around to make up for the way we ruined Luck's.

Justin Fields reminds me of Jamarcus Russell.
They're completely different. People love Fields' arm but they love Russell's legs. Fields throws running left in shorts while Russell throws kneeling in shorts. How could you possible compare them.

As a niners fan, he scares me too. I have reservations about all of the QBs in this draft. (Besides Lawrence, whom I have never watched)
  • Mond is a stiff Kaepernick? Mediocre accuracy
  • Lance threw less than 300 pass attempts
  • Wilson is a one year wonder playing against scrubs in a covid season who already had a throwing shoulder injury and isn't as great at reading coverages as people claim
  • Fields is late with his eyes / the ball, has a wonky throwing motion, and has questionable decision making (3 int vs indiana)
  • Jones played with 2 1st round WRs and trusted them to always win 1 on 1s. Is his anticipation/accuracy as good as people say or is he being bailed out by his WRs? Will his arm strength/mobility be sufficient? DUIs aren't a good look...
  • Trask is a statue throwing to megatron lite.
We're probably going to choose wrong, Kyle will get fired, and we'll be back to Chip Kelly, Jim Tomsula, Dennis Ericson level of incompetence.

Yeah, no sh!t Sherlock it was a joke.
Sorry, I was being snarky. However, I am worried that Fields is a mobile Haskins and Haskins' career trajectory is not dissimilar to Russell's. But who knows, he might be deshawn watson without the sexual allegations.

Back