Media An available desirable knife to review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Antiboost, Chase your dream man. I was once the worst accountant in a lonely paper company. I was practically the laughing stock of the office. Now I own my own bar. Dreams can come true.
Do you miss Micheal, Kevin? Do you ever wish you were Jim? If you could of dated any of the girls in the office, who would it of been?

Last edited:
I managed to get some new kitchen knives for a future YouTube video. I chose a matching pair of 'bunk bed' style knives. Although they don't stack that well, so far.

Attachments

• 15939817882714973012540746927643.jpg
    15939817882714973012540746927643.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 90
I managed to get some new kitchen knives for a future YouTube video. I chose a matching pair of 'bunk bed' style knives. Although they don't stack that well, so far.
What made you choose ZDP189.

It's semi-stainless. And, technically on paper because of the Carbon content, cast iron. 🤔

It's stainless enough leaving it wet for 15 minutes won't leave you with rust.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a kind of most wished for knife.

Generally, yes.

I want to create some Youtube content, and finding the right knife starting out would help.

You are asking the wrong question. Successful content isn't just a video of a thing ('the right knife'). Successful content is essentially entertainment. You have to figure out why an audience would want to watch you. What will you offer that warrants attention over all the other noise? Are you funny? Are you creative? Are you informative? Could I stand to watch more than 10 seconds of your clip (production values)? Have you figured out how to game/rig the ranking algorithm?

Note that you arent entering an empty space. Burrfection already occupies a large portion of that audience.

I'd like a wall of free knives, and a successful Youtube channel gets it.

The thing is.... if anyone mentioned their 'most wished for knife', it would be unsurprising to many if those blacksmiths could not be bothered with an influencer. People who know; know. They don't need a vlogger to influence them. Craftsmanship is not done at commercial volumes and these blacksmiths already have waiting lists longer than they can satisfy. You wont get freebies from them - they don't need advertising. In fact, that offer/expectation would come across as disrespectful and entitled.

[Coda]

In my opinion, Burrfection gets an unfair wrap in this neck of the woods. Why? This community is not his target audience. I don't think that discrepancy is always given fair consideration. Sometimes the criticisms are fair. Sometimes the criticisms are out of context. Sometimes the criticisms are just for humour/fun. Say what you will about his content; Ryky has managed to monetise something he is interested in. He has been through all the grift it takes to build up a popular channel. You'd do better to watch one of his videos about how he got to where he is. It is likely to shed more light on what it takes to get a 'wall of free knives' than doing a poor job of republishing the zeitgeist of KKF on YouTube.

Generally, yes.

You are asking the wrong question. Successful content isn't just a video of a thing ('the right knife'). Successful content is essentially entertainment. You have to figure out why an audience would want to watch you. What will you offer that warrants attention over all the other noise? Are you funny? Are you creative? Are you informative? Could I stand to watch more than 10 seconds of your clip (production values)? Have you figured out how to game/rig the ranking algorithm?

Note that you arent entering an empty space. Burrfection already occupies a large portion of that audience.

The thing is.... if anyone mentioned their 'most wished for knife', it would be unsurprising to many if those blacksmiths could not be bothered with an influencer. People who know; know. They don't need a vlogger to influence them. Craftsmanship is not done at commercial volumes and these blacksmiths already have waiting lists longer than they can satisfy. You wont get freebies from them - they don't need advertising. In fact, that offer/expectation would come across as disrespectful and entitled.

[Coda]

In my opinion, Burrfection gets an unfair wrap in this neck of the woods. Why? This community is not his target audience. I don't think that discrepancy is always given fair consideration. Sometimes the criticisms are fair. Sometimes the criticisms are out of context. Sometimes the criticisms are just for humour/fun. Say what you will about his content; Ryky has managed to monetise something he is interested in. He has been through all the grift it takes to build up a popular channel. You'd do better to watch one of his videos about how he got to where he is. It is likely to shed more light on what it takes to get a 'wall of free knives' than doing a poor job of republishing the zeitgeist of KKF on YouTube.
"Zeitgeist" great word and perfect usage.

Determine your audience first.

I remember when I started 'looking for info on youtube' it is very hard to find out who to believe or take for serious or not.
Most of the videos show kind of the same from a (my) beginners point of view. They all talk about how to find an angle, how to hold your knive and about burrs and deburring. But, they all use different tricks and techniques.

Lately I find out that some videos I skipped earlier are the videos of one of the most respected knifemaker of this forum: mr Jon Broida. How could I know that his info is of way more importance than of some others? There lies the challenge i guess when you start a new channel...

And then you stumble uppon ryky. A guy who has more then just 5 videos, covering lots of sub-topics about knivesharpening, does do Q&A and his videos don't look they are made in a Middleage dungeon filmed with a patatoe (at this point Im absolutely not comparing ryky with Jon Broida! Let me be very clear about this. There just are a lot of those videos of amateurs who film in their backyard.. How do I know if he is a good source or not? You only will know when your own level is above the ones in the video i guess...).. It's hard, for a beginner, to not watch rykys videos.
Not to pick a fight with all other members in here 🤡, I feel (as a new member here) that there is alot of anti-ryky in here and that some people just 'go with the horde' who represent that opinion. His content and channel is perfect for people who start on their knive/sharpening journey. His channel is bad for the really advanced sharpeners out here and for those 'facebook mothers' who can't pick out the more objective things in someones videos (weighing the opinion / being critical about what is being stated as a fact....don't know how I should translate this from Dutch, hard to fully express myself)

I guess it's hard for a viewer who is completely new to put someones content in the right level. Depends on the skilllevel of the sharpener aswell where to put it..

I agree with your assessments, given that KKF is full of advanced users, the forum options is expected to go against FB moms 🤪

Back