Small plate An Homage-Turkish Red Lentil Soup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Read a story in the paper today about the husband-wife team that leads BioNTech, the company that developed the first working vaccine, he's a Turkish immigrant to Germany, she's the daughter of Turkish immigrants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/business/biontech-covid-vaccine.html
Clearly, we all in this world owe these people a debt of gratitude that's hard to even imagine but I thought in my little way, I'd post my flat out favorite Turkish recipe, it's just a simple little soup. I've probably made this as much as anything else in my repertoire. Sometimes I tell people it's Lebanese, sometimes Syrian, but I first started making it after I ate it in a Turkish restaurant in Boston and bought their cookbook. There's fancier Turkish food, there's more complicated Turkish food, but nothing I've found is more soulful Turkish food.

Anybody else make turkish food? Love to keep it going, post your recipes!

Without further ado, here you go:

Turkish Red Lentil Soup
Serves easily 8, freezes great

Flavor Base

Sweat two medium onions and three cloves of garlic in 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil and 2 Tbsp of butter over medium low heat. Salt it. Let them soften but not color

Add 3-4 Tbsp mild Paprika, 1 tsp Turkish red pepper flakes (they're not that hot, if using italian, halve it) and saute for a minute.

Add a 14 oz can of tomatoes that you chopped fine and eliminated the seeds, along with the juice from the can. Saute that for a minute too.

Lentils

Add 2 cups Red Lentils, 3 cups of chicken stock and 6 cups of water to the pot. Throw in 1/3 cup of rice.

Let cook 20-30 minutes till the lentils and rice cook.

Add more salt

After add 1 1/2 Tbsp of dried mint and 1/4 cup of fine bulgur (optional) and let it cook ten minutes more.

Garnish
Squeeze some lemon over it as you serve. If you want you can saute some dried mint in butter with some paprika and drizzle this on the top.

Nod to Sultan's Kitchen in Boston for this one.

Great thread. Here is another article about BioNTech.

Thanks for sharing the recipe @rickbern. I read you post this morning and it sounded way better than what I had planned for dinner.
I gave it a few pulses with a stick blender, but otherwise followed the recipe and it was delicious. Will definitely make it again!

Like!

Your recipe sound very similar to the soup called Ezogelin. I just cooked it last week, for the first time.
It was good but I prefer very similar turkish soup called Mercimek, no bulgur&rice but with some potatoes. I cook it regularly, it is delicious. One tip, without a squeeze of lemon directly in the plate at serving it is just not the same\correct tasting.
You can cook a big batch as it freezes nicely.

I also like other turkish food I cook occasionally: stuffed aubergines (Karniyarik). It goes great with cooked bulgur. Regularly I also do Kapuska: cabbage with minced meat and tomato.
There is also a king of turkish dishes I did a few times: hunkar begendi\sultan's delight. This one takes a bit more time but it is amazing!

I also really like their breads, not that I make them myself. Luckily I have turkish bakery around the corner.

Surely there are more great turkish dishes, I can hardly wait to find them.
Would be great to hear other suggestions...

For the recipes for above just Google, the names are correct.

Like!

Your recipe sound very similar to the soup called Ezogelin. I just cooked it last week, for the first time.
It was good but I prefer very similar turkish soup called Mercimek, no bulgur&rice but with some potatoes. I cook it regularly, it is delicious. One tip, without a squeeze of lemon directly in the plate at serving it is just not the same\correct tasting.
You can cook a big batch as it freezes nicely.

I also like other turkish food I cook occasionally: stuffed aubergines (Karniyarik). It goes great with cooked bulgur. Regularly I also do Kapuska: cabbage with minced meat and tomato.
There is also a king of turkish dishes I did a few times: hunkar begendi\sultan's delight. This one takes a bit more time but it is amazing!

I also really like their breads, not that I make them myself. Luckily I have turkish bakery around the corner.

Surely there are more great turkish dishes, I can hardly wait to find them.
Would be great to hear other suggestions...

For the recipes for above just Google, the names are correct.
I have it in my head to make a guvec which is a pot of meat and vegetables cooked together slowly in a clay pot. I actually bought a guvec (the pot has the same name as the dish) but haven’t had a chance to use it yet
https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2014...hicken-and-vegetable-stew-in-earthenware-pot/

Thanks for sharing the recipe , this one is more like the Ezogelin rather than Red lentil soup but I like them both a lot with ezogelin slightly favourite.
I would avoid recipes from google when it comes to Turkish cuisine, many recipes are not very accurate . If you want to learn authentic Turkish cuisine this book is probably the best I have seen , written in English by Turkish/Australian chef Somer Sivrioglu

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anatolia-...ocphy=9072205&hvtargid=pla-848449658605&psc=1

Thanks for sharing the recipe , this one is more like the Ezogelin rather than Red lentil soup but I like them both a lot with ezogelin slightly favourite.
I would avoid recipes from google when it comes to Turkish cuisine, many recipes are not very accurate . If you want to learn authentic Turkish cuisine this book is probably the best I have seen , written in English by Turkish/Australian chef Somer Sivrioglu

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anatolia-...ocphy=9072205&hvtargid=pla-848449658605&psc=1
Plus one to this cookbook. Bought it on kindle, just flipping through I can tell it’s great.

Ps. Checked the original cookbook. The soup is indeed called Ezogelin by the author

Last edited:
Tnx for the tip on the book. I will check it out.

But for Google recipes I have nice trick: first I gather EN recipes then I google for them in native language (in this case Turkish), then Chrome google translate functionality is your friend ;)

Then I check like 5-7 of them and I get pretty good impression on correct one.

Thank you, rickbern! I just made this (just like the recipe, but used canned diced tomatoes, subbed veg. stock for chicken, used 1/2 tsp Italian red pepper flakes, 3 TB paprika, and skipped the bulgur- so, no big changes). Good stuff! My kids, aged 8 and 9, loved it too. Amazing how the copious amount of mint blends in and brightens the whole thing. Definitely making this again!

Thank you, rickbern! I just made this (just like the recipe, but used canned diced tomatoes, subbed veg. stock for chicken, used 1/2 tsp Italian red pepper flakes, 3 TB paprika, and skipped the bulgur- so, no big changes). Good stuff! My kids, aged 8 and 9, loved it too. Amazing how the copious amount of mint blends in and brightens the whole thing. Definitely making this again!
I’ve made all those changes and more! Did you manage to put some lemon in? Makes a huge difference

I just want to point out, in our own little corner of the internet, we got here long before the media woke up to the story....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/17/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
"As recently as this summer, many analysts were pushing their predictions for a vaccine into the fall of 2021, in line with the timeline of traditional treatments. If these new vaccines perform as well in the wild as they have in clinical trials, the world will remember it as a victory perhaps greater than Salk and Sabin against polio. If this new type of vaccine also goes on to work against other viruses, it will mark an epochal advance in vaccinology, closer to the discoveries of Pasteur and Jenner.

But a strange thing has happened in our celebration of this scientific triumph. While we remember those historic advances as the work of individual scientists or laboratories, the vaccines against Covid-19 are being written instead as a victory for pharmaceutical companies.

The rule in press coverage seems to be that the biggest brand involved gets top credit. And so, every day now there are stories about the Pfizer vaccine (a collaboration between Pfizer and the German biotech company BioNTech); the Moderna vaccine (a partnership between the National Institutes of Health and Moderna); and the AstraZeneca vaccine (a front-running non-mRNA candidate, in fact created by scientists at the University of Oxford and developed and distributed by AstraZeneca)."

Fantastic recipe..just finished the 8 people portion in two sittings with my wife. :p

I wanted some extra hot spicy on round two, so i did the sauteing of mint in butter but also threw 2 whole arbol chiles in there. Very nice heat to add to the already warming dish.

My granddaughter left so it is now time for adult food. We made your Red Lentil soup. Nice soup. My new Revere ware 4.5 qt pot showed up this morning and it is the perfect size. It is older than 1968 so it has twice the copper thickness of the newer pots.

PS
I used 1 tsp of the red pepper flakes like you use on pizza.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just remembered this thread.
I'm between shots and to be honest, I was really happy when my number was up, that I was getting the BioNtech vaccine.
Really love that this husband/wife team is saving the world with science.
Also, it's a great excuse to cook #rickdawg(tm)'s delicious soup, although it's a little to hot here at the moment..

Just remembered this thread.
I'm between shots and to be honest, I was really happy when my number was up, that I was getting the BioNtech vaccine.
Really love that this husband/wife team is saving the world with science.
Also, it's a great excuse to cook #rickdawg(tm)'s delicious soup, although it's a little to hot here at the moment..
Lars, it's too darn hot here, but I'm gonna make a batch tonight for you. Bet you a krone, your picture will be better than mine!

I got the Moderna vaccine, when I had the chance to take the shot I was super stoked to get that one too! It's like getting your life back.

Lars, it's too darn hot here, but I'm gonna make a batch tonight for you. Bet you a krone, your picture will be better than mine!

I got the Moderna vaccine, when I had the chance to take the shot I was super stoked to get that one too! It's like getting your life back.
I'm honored and I bet yours will come out great.

I would have taken any one I was offered, but as a hopeless romantic it was a nice surprise being picked for the BioNtech vaccine.

When it cools off in Texas, I will make it again this fall. It was a great soup.

I am glad I have both my Moderna vaccine shots behind me. The second one made me a little sick.

Last edited:
Heading off to Budapest soon, I’m going to find another recipe to post in the spirit of this thread.

These people saved our lives!

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/ka...ric-mrna-vaccine-research-team-win-2023-nobel

Just as a reminder…

This is a pair of paintings in Prague by a Czech artist, Kubista, he died of Spanish Flu at 34 years old or so in 1918View attachment 272734View attachment 272735
From The NY Times:

She grew up in Hungary, daughter of a butcher. She decided she wanted to be a scientist, although she had never met one. She moved to the United States in her 20s, but for decades never found a permanent position, instead clinging to the fringes of academia.

Now Katalin Kariko, 66, known to colleagues as Kati, has emerged as one of the heroes of Covid-19 vaccine development. Her work, with her close collaborator, Dr. Drew Weissman of the University of Pennsylvania, laid the foundation for the stunningly successful vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

It’s gotta be a meat dish!

Latest posts

Back