an idea for the BST forums

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
He there, I have an idea which may be useful for the BST sectionS.
As we know it is up to the forum member to show in its profie his/her location (privacy ofc). The location info is important when you BST, ofc. Personally for me it is difficult to determine from where is somebody (who didn't state loaction) who made an offer in the BST...I normally get an idea from the text of the post, but it happens that I have to guess and/or ask.
So...Is it possible that somehow everyone state explicitely just the continent? Having this info in advance, it is much easier to make up your mind about a particular offer...Right? Personnaly, I would keep an eye on all offers, if I know they r from somebody in Europe, ofc, I would have a look at those from the rest of the world...
The idea is rough like a blank knife :), and I guess it needs ginds and polishing.
Moderators, pls move the thread to the rght forum if needed. Thanks.

Most people do this already, but it would be great it everyone did it. Many people in the US say "$240 shipped CONUS" or something, where CONUS means "within the continental United States", i.e. the US excluding Alaska and Hawaii. If you see that you'll know it's someone in the US.

But yea, sometimes people don't specify, and that's frustrating.

Its a small proportion, and most KKF members are from USA/Canada anyway. What I find more frustrating is sellers not stating basic specs, ie edge length, height and weight.

Am less concerned about where they are located, more about the sellers standing and quality of description and photos.
I am not located in the USA, and always appreciate when sellers state a price for shipping international.
Almost as good is how much $ they put against actual cost of shipping.
I am occasionally disappointed that some sellers won’t entertain international shipping.
Not sure it’s important where the buyer comes from? Their risk is borne from the fact that their payment is made prior to good receipt.

Am less concerned about where they are located, more about the sellers standing and quality of description and photos.
I am not located in the USA, and always appreciate when sellers state a price for shipping international.
I am occasionally disappointed that some sellers won’t entertain international shipping.
Not sure it’s important where the buyer comes from? Their risk is borne from the fact that their payment is made prior to good receipt.

I think that vadim’s point is that where the seller is from drastically changes the shipping cost. So if they don’t say, you can start to get interested in the knife, and then figure out that the seller is in Australia and you (really, me) are in the US, which makes the knife not worth the price. That has happened to me before.

I think that vadim’s point is that where the seller is from drastically changes the shipping cost. So if they don’t say, you can start to get interested in the knife, and then figure out that the seller is in Australia and you (really, me) are in the US, which makes the knife not worth the price. That has happened to me before.
@ian - Correct. That's my point. And sometimes it is important whe you have to take the decision fast. For example, I see a really attractive offer for my dream-knife (or stone?), but I dont know (for some reason) where the seller is. If the knife cost 800$ shipment cost of 50$ is not a big deal, but if it is 200$, it does matter. And if I know that the seller is in Europe, well...I hit the button in seconds, as I know the rough cost for me being in Europe would be "something"+/- 5$

Last edited:

The customs paperwork can be a little bit of a pain, for one. Difficult decisions between insuring the package adequately and protecting the buyer from excessive import duties (which I’ve read members on here complain about, how packages were declared). Then there’s the issue of greater PayPal fees internationally, and varies by currency, which means that even if buyer pays actual shipping cost, less funds make it to the seller—especially relevant on higher-ticket knives. I’m not against it, but I have screwed myself out of proceeds by not understanding all of this before accepting a foreign sale.

The customs paperwork can be a little bit of a pain, for one. Difficult decisions between insuring the package adequately and protecting the buyer from excessive import duties (which I’ve read members on here complain about, how packages were declared). Then there’s the issue of greater PayPal fees internationally, and varies by currency, which means that even if buyer pays actual shipping cost, less funds make it to the seller—especially relevant on higher-ticket knives. I’m not against it, but I have screwed myself out of proceeds by not understanding all of this before accepting a foreign sale.
Here is another point, which makes my proposal reasonale. All EU citizens know how easy it is to ship shomething within the union. Just like within the united states.

Not sure of the best way to implement such a thing, but I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to ’guesstimate’ shipping costs, customs hassle, tax /VAT based on the buyer’s & seller’s locations. I’ve had several deals go south when I had to have stuff shipped to FPO/APO addresses, or country to country.

Not sure of the best way to implement such a thing, but I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to ’guesstimate’ shipping costs, customs hassle, tax /VAT based on the buyer’s & seller’s locations. I’ve had several deals go south when I had to have stuff shipped to FPO/APO addresses, or country to country.
Here is a simple way to implement my idea, if the forum members and moderators believe it is good: As we know, in order to post a thread in BST forum, one has to select if he buys, sells or trades. If the forum IT guy(s) put another dropping menu with options EU/US/CA, as a precondition to post your thread, I think it would be a good start to check the idea.

Other forum members are welcomed to develope this idea.

International doesn't only mean EU/US/CA. I'm sure there are a few of us outside of those areas.

International doesn't only mean EU/US/CA. I'm sure there are a few of us outside of those areas.
I think he meant those as examples. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a location disclosure (country) of the person creating a listing in the BST forum. I'm not sure how other people look at this from a privacy standpoint, but the BST section is a service in a way and losing a bit of privacy, however minor, to be able to use it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Basically for myself all purchases in BST are international so for sellers who don't state international shipping costs, I always ask in PM what the shipping would be for knives I'm interested in. Some buyers state CONUS but if the knife has been available for a while, it doesn't hurt to ask if they would be interested in selling internationally with a PM.

I was inputting the comment on my smartphone (so a lil hard to input), that's why I mentioned the major locations on the globe, from where knives/stones start their journey. Ofc, "international " includes Hong Kong, too.
but the BST section is a service in a way and losing a bit of privacy, however minor, to be able to use it doesn't seem unreasonable.
Exactly! And besides, wha privacy we lose if we state "EU"?!? I consider very well the privacy issue, otherwise I would not post such a suggestion.

The idea is rough and it needs polishing.

Lising your continent seems fine...

As a default, many US ebay trades are limited to CONUS because shipping and legal system is readily knowable and there is a deep enough market for most goods to be priced fairly.

Selling across borders is significantly more difficult to resolve disptes. This is why people tend to geo-restrict offers on something like e-bay.

Alternatively, to reach the largest market those restrictions can be eased and the seller can take on this incremental risk. Its important to understand, however, that this issue is grounded in a reall world concern about the pricing of risk (not just shipping and foreign currency or customs, etc).

People who are better equiped to deal with this issue can reap somewhat larger market depth by accepting riskier transaction characteristics....

Its worth just stating this clearly for overall transparency of the issues involved. :)

I agree it is enough. But some ppl forget to state it, I guess because they assume all the rest are from the same area. Strange, but it happens. I am relatively new here, but I bumped such cases.
It is. It doesn't need to be ultra specific. Seller says what country they are in. If they have any restrictions for shipping, say so. No complicated software solution needed.

Reactions: ian
A quick segue on CONUS.

I encountered the term first while in military. In-CONUS was within the 48 - and did not include AK or HI.

For shipping, the USPS includes all 50 states, territory's, and APO/FPO for priority shipping. CONUS as used here is usually a misnomer.

It is. It doesn't need to be ultra specific. Seller says what country they are in. If they have any restrictions for shipping, say so. No complicated software solution needed.

Hmm, I disagree. I think a seller's location (accurate to 30 ft) should be automatically listed whenever they post. Especially when it's someone selling 3 Katos at once. Passcodes to security systems should also be listed, just in case the mailman needs to pick up the package indoors.

A quick segue on CONUS.

I encountered the term first while in military. In-CONUS was within the 48 - and did not include AK or HI.

For shipping, the USPS includes all 50 states, territory's, and APO/FPO for priority shipping. CONUS as used here is usually a misnomer.

Is it more expensive for Hawaii and Alaska, though? I’ve been using CONUS (continental united states) because I’ve been assuming the rates are higher. I don’t usually use the flat rate option.

Hmm, I disagree. I think a seller's location (accurate to 30 ft) should be automatically listed whenever they post. Especially when it's someone selling 3 Katos at once. Passcodes to security systems should also be listed, just in case the mailman needs to pick up the package indoors.
No 2fa? Pfft..

Is it more expensive for Hawaii and Alaska, though? I’ve been using CONUS (continental united states) because I’ve been assuming the rates are higher. I don’t usually use the flat rate option.

When sending by weight / size, the USPS charges by zones from the sender and AK and HI are going to be further than most and so will be in pricier zones. I try and send knives in the small tube mailers which run 10 - 15 bucks + insurance. To send stones, it usually makes sense to go flat rate.

30 ft?!? Such uncertainty? I think no more than 10 ft (when CONUS) or 5 m (when EU) should be allowed!
Besided, US residents should avoid this misleading "CONUS" abbr., coz from other continents may assume it is the geometry figure and get confused....

30ft pffft. Whats is this the 1990's?

Lots of people will be looking forward to your WTS listings.

When sending by weight / size, the USPS charges by zones from the sender and AK and HI are going to be further than most and so will be in pricier zones. I try and send knives in the small tube mailers which run 10 - 15 bucks + insurance. To send stones, it usually makes sense to go flat rate.
I was told by a postal worker once that if a package is over 2lbs, flat rate is the way to go. If it'll fit in one of their boxes.

Latest posts

Back