• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought an inexpensive double bevel knife for polish and thinning practice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakiriknaifuwaifu

Reaction score
I would like to buy an inexpensive double bevel carbon knife to practice thinning and polishing on, preferably > 100mm and <$50.

Anyone have any tossers (besides Dao Vua)?

Thank you,
NKW

Purchased. Thanks to those who messaged.

Last edited:
How about a modified Munetoshi Ku 240? It has a big groove on the right side and has basically zero bevel. You probably won’t need to thin it any more, but it definitely has room to make a stone flat surface and for polishing.
AB998B94-3439-4B33-8B58-C8F732ACCC05.jpeg
BB152D39-E417-4420-9ADF-1F8C62D5FCE8.jpeg
696FE5DC-1D1B-4473-A7E5-E56BCC456990.jpeg

I would like to buy an inexpensive double bevel carbon knife to practice thinning and polishing on, preferably > 100mm and <$50.

Anyone have any tossers (besides Dao Vua)?

Thank you,
NKW
Pallarès Solsona makes basic carbon knives, C60 @60Rc. Both sides come very convexed. Prices in Europe including our VAT are €20-40. Don't know about availability in the States.

you could buy a nakiri off ebay or yahoo auctions japans

I have couple of those Pallares Solsonas. Easy to sharpen and good value for the low price IMO.

Thank you for searching. I'd like practice doing both sides (since I want to get better at doing both sides on my normal knives). They're both out of budget with tax though.
Take a look for a used misono dragon. The steel is very good and with some thinning they become really good cutters

As for automotive sandpaper: if used with a somewhat giving backing like hard rubber or soft wood, you get a nice even, convexed result very fast, but make sure to avoid touching the very edge. It would get overly convexed as well, and restoring a decent edge will waste a lot of material. With a hard backing like a tile, facetting is to be expected.

Back