And so it begins...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan Grönstedt

instagram.com/magnicustom/
Reaction score
Gentlemen!

I feel I have you all to thank. After years of lurking around the interwebs dreaming about knives, I did my first rehandle 6 months ago. It was way too embarrassing to show here of course but it started a burning desire to do it again. And again. And yes, again.

For me, it has been the can-do spirit of the knife community and all of the wonderful makers sharing their knowledge on YouTube/Instagram that has made it possible for me to start out and get the inspiration to progress. So finally, we've arrived at knife #10, and the first one I feel comfortable with sharing with you great folk, so here goes. Be kind... 😇
  • Originally the blade is a Kashima Sanjo 210mm White #2 San-Mai Gyoto, somewhat modified and engraved with my family crest.
  • The 120mm handle construction is a 5-piece "coffin-style"-handle with hidden internal pins for strength.
  • Bog Oak carbon-dated at 3800 years with Green stabilized Boxelder Burl.
  • The design idea was shamelessly stolen from Don Nguen - thank you for all the inspiration you produce awesome pieces of art
Finally the glam shots.
My GOD the photos were more difficult than the knife...

Happy to hear any and all thoughts and tips moving forward.
Currently, I'm not at all set up to do this kind of work, I'm working out of my kitchen with no power tools, so just keeping lines straight is a struggle 🥳
But again, very happy to hear your feedback!
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg

Seeing as my start came from watching others, I thought I'd also share some photos from the production process. Enjoy 🙆‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_6873.jpeg
    IMG_6873.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6875.jpeg
    IMG_6875.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6907.jpeg
    IMG_6907.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6913.jpeg
    IMG_6913.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 62
Wonderful! Would you mind listing some of the hand tools you use?
I'd be happy to! Having said that I do feel at least a rotary tool is in my near future...
  • A small but heavy bench vise, without it, nothing would be possible
    • I use the top of the vise as a level surface to get straight lines with my files
  • 90% of handle shaping is done with a Bahco file, maaaan I love that thing - it moves soo smoothly and fast
    • I also have a half-round file that comes in really handy as well
  • Diamond files for the metal work. There I feel hours could be cut down to minutes with a rotary tool.
  • 6 clamps (I feel BARE minimum...)
  • A wood saw with a supported back, and a cheap hack saw with metal cutting blade
    • I use a left-over miter box to get the initial cut straight. Ghetto as **** but seems to work. I move over to the vise once everything alings
  • Small hand drill (ok, its electric, I admit) and cheap drill bits
  • Sandpaper (I move directly to 240 after filing - moving up to 1000 grit and then finish with some wood polish and after 5 coats do a very light 3000 and 7000 sanding before last coat)
  • Epoxy, not sure it counts as a hand tool but hey
  • Center punch (you can manage without)
  • Measurement instruments are like a cheap-o caliper and a metal ruler. Would like a digital caliper, shouldn't have cheaped out on that...
Best tip is to buy quality files. Makes a world of difference at least to me.
It feels like I'm making a statement with my "no power tools" - Im not :)
I just dont have the room for it and files takes up less space than a 2x72... :)

I'd be happy to! Having said that I do feel at least a rotary tool is in my near future...
  • A small but heavy bench vise, without it, nothing would be possible
    • I use the top of the vise as a level surface to get straight lines with my files
  • 90% of handle shaping is done with a Bahco file, maaaan I love that thing - it moves soo smoothly and fast
    • I also have a half-round file that comes in really handy as well
  • Diamond files for the metal work. There I feel hours could be cut down to minutes with a rotary tool.
  • 6 clamps (I feel BARE minimum...)
  • A wood sawwith a supported back, and a cheap hack saw with metal cutting blade
    • I use a left-over miter box to get the initial cut straight. Ghetto as **** but seems to work. I move over to the vise once everything alings
  • Small hand drill (ok, its electric, I admit) and cheap drill bits
  • Sandpaper (I move directly to 240 after filing - moving up to 1000 grit and then finish with some wood polish and after 5 coats do a very light 3000 and 7000 sanding before last coat)
  • Epoxy, not sure it counts as a hand tool but hey
  • Center punch (you can manage without)
  • Measurement instruments are like a cheap-o caliper and a metal ruler. Would like a digital caliper, shouldn't have cheaped out on that...
Best tip is to buy quality files. Makes a world of difference at least to me.
It feels like I'm making a statement with my "no power tools" - Im not :)
I just dont have the room for it and files takes up less space than a 2x72... :)

Thank you very much sir. Very kind of you to take the time and list that all out.

I don't take it as you trying to make a statement at all, just the opposite. I see it as you showing what can be done with simple tools and desire. I appreciate it as I have a small work space that I've pondered doing something this from time to time.

Yeah no worries!

Forgot the most important tool. I use my vacuum cleaner every 30 seconds to suck up wood dust. It is a nasty thing in a home environment and I feel unless I obsess about it right away it start flying around and... well, no Bueno.
I'm looking for a smart solution for this if anyone has any thoughts...

Yeah no worries!

Forgot the most important tool. I use my vacuum cleaner every 30 seconds to suck up wood dust. It is a nasty thing in a home environment and I feel unless I obsess about it right away it start flying around and... well, no Bueno.
I'm looking for a smart solution for this if anyone has any thoughts...

In some applications I have used a small Shop Vac and rigged up PVC pipe for the hose to go into and used clamps to hold the contraption in place. Might work near your vice. Say the hose running along the counter into a piece of pipe with a 90 degree bend, another short piece of pipe and another 90 facing the vice in a sort of S shape.

In some applications I have used a small Shop Vac and rigged up PVC pipe for the hose to go into and used clamps to hold the contraption in place. Might work near your vice. Say the hose running along the counter into a piece of pipe with a 90 degree bend, another short piece of pipe and another 90 facing the vice in a sort of S shape.
Yeah I can "kinda" see what you mean. 🧐
It seems easier to rig something up when a) its a shop and you can permanently mount stuff in good places and b) the machines throw dust in the same place all the time.

I feel I need a system that is quick to rig up and down.
A lot of my pain is just the time it takes to clean everything up after I've been fiddling about 😂

Very cool and impressive!

Personally, I’d prefer to see a bit of a coke bottle shape, but hey, that’s just me...

It really looks very cool!!!

When you talk about Coke bottle shape - are you talking about not keeping the handle straight if you were to look at it from the upside if that makes sense?

Like this?

Haven't tried that, mind telling me why you prefer it? I think the aesthetics of it is a little less "clean" but willing to compromise if it makes a big difference in hand-feel so to speak.

Cocobolo_Wood_Handle_480x480.jpg

I guess I have always preferred it this way. The decent taper from the bolster to the middle, then it gets a tiny bit thinner, and the but is a bit wider again... Feels perfect in hand!

Please, I am in no way saying that your handle is „wrong“, it does look absolutely fantastic!!!! And the glam shots are pretty good too!!

Last edited:
I guess I have always preferred it this way. The decent taper from the bolster to the middle, then it gets a tiny bit thinner, and the but is a bit wider again... Feels perfect in hand!

Please, I am in no way saying that your handle is „wrong“, it does look absolutely fantastic!!!! And the glam shots are pretty good too!!

Haha promise no offense! ;)

I'm just pretty new to this and happy to learn (and honestly darn thankful anyone takes the time to give advice and opinions!)!

I guess the devil is in the detail, make it just so without overemphasizing it. I feel that in the example you provided it flows quite naturally and never becomes over-exaggerated. Kinda like it. Thanks for suggesting! @

You’re welcome. The handle I showed is from a Hattori FH knife. I think the reason why the handle gets slimmer between middle and end is to make it a perfect finger rest. Not every Western handle is good, some are phenomenal though. I have recently had a Western handle from Ben Kamon in my hand. Just perfect! Stunning design with 100% performance/functionality!

How big is the vise you are using? And is it attached to the table, or just free standing?

It's this vise
Width 15 cm
Height 13 cm
Weight 6,65 kg

I clamp it down to my windowsill with 2 clamps at that works great for me. It has 3 holes for permanent mounting, but that is a big no-no according to the wife 👨‍🔧😳

How big is the vise you are using? And is it attached to the table, or just free standing?
I can tell you that this is my second vise. The first one i bought was one of those small ball-joint-pivot things that looks mega usefull for the beginner who doesn't know better, but in reality broke after 2 hours of viseing. Stay away.

Awesome. Just want to add, you should be able to use the regular metal files to a large extent on blades. Even on the hardened steel unless it's like 64+ hrc. A file is commonly used to sharpen axes and sawchains after all :)

It's very impressive work you did!

I have Bosch Power Tools JS470E wood tools to further usage, but as a I never perform knife making before. But I will try to make like after completion some projects.

Jaysus this is impressive, top work :).

And with aspects that require proper skills that I think that would be beyond me... the sawing and making of the initial blank for instance does not look an easy task with what you used. Kudos!

Thru sheer determination and tools at hand you make it work. Hey your not being paid by the hour??

Back