Announcement: Knives and Stones is Heading to the US!

Discussion in 'Knives and Stones' started by pkjames, Oct 11, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2019 #1

pkjames

pkjames

pkjames

Professional Craftsman

I am excited to announce that Knives and Stones is launching the US operations. It has been a lot of hard work at the background to pull it off, but it is finally a reality. Our website www.knivesandstones.us is now live and you can place your orders now (but please do read the next sections).

Reason of launching US
    From the very beginning of K&S, I am supported by my fellow KKF members who mostly are from the US. From then, reputation starts to build up, and orders are streaming in. However, given Australia is not necessary a place that ships things easily, the overhead for K&S is astonishingly high.

That is only the small part, where it matters most is the lack of serviceability. Things do sometimes go wrong, and when an order is lost, damaged, defective, or even as simple as the customer doesn’t like it, the cost of shipping it back to us is prohibitively expensive. Along with customs issues, potential damages. In short, being on the other side of the world from the States, it gives the core customers of K&S a sub-optimal buying experience which is not how I want K&S to be.

As a result, I started to work on the possibility of setting up the US operation, at least have someone that ships the knife locally, be able to handle returns and repairs smoothly. Being physically in Australia, it is not an easy task and has taken much longer than I expected, but hey it is finally here

What happens next
    Our small operation is based in Brooklyn, New York, and at this stage it is only a online business. Simply because online is our model of business, and we currently have no plans to expand into retail. The US offerings will be slightly different from K&S AU as the stock is adjusted based on my understanding of the US market, as well as the current capacity of our US office.

The initial offering will be somewhat limited however it will expand as we build up our local stock. While some rare, expensive items may still be shipped from Sydney, we aim to stock the absolute majority of our products locally. Returns will be handled locally as well, while repairs will be either be done locally or shipped back to Japan from our US office.

How to order
    As of today, the new website www.knivesandstones.us is now live and taking orders. Given the site is not extensively tested, and stock level may not be as accurate as I hope for, please excuse us if your order runs into problems. Please do email or PM me here if things went wrong.

At the moment this is pretty much a soft opening, I am on my way to New York to facilitate the launch, and get things organized. In order to say thank you for your continuous support, and to celebrate the launching of our US operation, we have prepared a batch of special K&S octagonal handle: snake wood with blonde buffalo horn. During the soft opening period, your knife will be upgraded to this special handle absolutely FREE, please see the photo attached. The quantity is strictly limited, therefore I apologize in advance if the handle runs out. (Disclaimer: as much as want the wood to be highly figured, we order them in bulk and the wood figure may not be as “snake” as I would like. In saying they, they still cost a fortune to make and is truly something special).

Handle upgrade will be applied automatically, however if you don’t like it, please let me a know.

As for overseas buyers, unfortunately we are not set up to handle overseas orders yet, since we don’t have access to any good shipping rates. For the first few months we will not be able to process overseas orders, but will definitely look into this when our operations become more smooth.

Again, thanks for your unequivocal support, we look forward to serving you from the vibrant New York City.

For now, please enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. Oct 11, 2019 #2

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

Congrats James! As a Canadian, should I continue to use the original website? I’m wanting a maguro kiri (eventually lol)

Xenif and pkjames like this.
  3. Oct 11, 2019 #3

pkjames

pkjames

pkjames

Professional Craftsman

I am about to board the flight to JFK as we speak, and I won't have WIFI. Currently I have disabled the shipping options for overseas, however I will look into this once I am on the ground. In the mean time, KNS AU is business as usual :)

J

aboynamedsuita likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2019 #4

danemonji

danemonji

danemonji

Wow...new online shop looks very nice. Love what James is doing overal...love the prices love the service and the best handles i have ever owned. Best of luck!

pkjames likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2019 #5
  6. Oct 11, 2019 #6

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Supporting Member

Congrats James! And welcome to the states!

pkjames likes this.
  7. Oct 11, 2019 #7

dafox

dafox

dafox

Just placed an order:)

pkjames likes this.
  8. Oct 11, 2019 #8

McMan

McMan

McMan

Congrats James! Cool news. Have a good trip.

pkjames likes this.
  9. Oct 11, 2019 #9

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

Congratulations!

pkjames likes this.
  10. Oct 11, 2019 #10

YG420

YG420

YG420

Supporting Member

Great to hear!

pkjames likes this.
  11. Oct 11, 2019 #11

jimmy_d

jimmy_d

jimmy_d

Supporting Member

Congrats! Will you be adding some of the same inventory from he Australian site or will it be completely different?

pkjames likes this.
  12. Oct 11, 2019 #12
    Congrats James! I am looking forward to your opening in EU in 2020 :D

pkjames and tgfencer like this.
  13. Oct 12, 2019 #13

pkjames

pkjames

pkjames

Professional Craftsman

Thanks guys! Just landed in NYC and getting ready for everything. Exciting day!

14. Oct 12, 2019 #14

pkjames

pkjames

pkjames

Professional Craftsman

I anticipate they will largely be the same, except certain brands / lines that we are not allowed to carry in the US. There will also be small tweaks as well, for example we may not be able to do a lot of handle customization, nor custom engraving from our US office (at least for now).

jimmy_d likes this.
  15. Oct 12, 2019 #15

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

@pkjames, congratulations. That is truly exciting. I am glad to see you expand. The tyranny of distance is very real.

pkjames likes this.
  16. Oct 12, 2019 #16

marc4pt0

marc4pt0

marc4pt0

That’s amazing, James! Congrats, and cheers to much more success!

pkjames likes this.
  17. Oct 12, 2019 #17

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Forum Founder Professional Craftsman

I know how hard you've worked to make this happen. Congratulations James, this is awesome! :)

pkjames likes this.
  18. Oct 13, 2019 #18

milkbaby

milkbaby

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus Supporting Member

Congrats! This is great news for kitchen knife fans!

pkjames likes this.
  19. Oct 14, 2019 #19

pkjames

pkjames

pkjames

Professional Craftsman

Yes, it is truly exciting, I am learning eveyrthing from local shipping, to the complicated tax system of US etc etc.

good fun!

M1k3 and jimmy_d like this.
  20. Oct 14, 2019 #20

dough

dough

dough

This is super exciting congrats

21. Oct 16, 2019 #21

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

Congrats!!! Good to hear!

22. Oct 16, 2019 #22

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

The tax system is easy. Each state gets to decide on their system. Easy-peasy!

The U.S. was set up for each state to handle most things, and the federal gov't to only take care of things over and above, or to set minimum standards/ requirements for certain things. Over time the federal gov't has grown to where they take the lion's share of income taxes, and they redistribute the money to the states for various programs, etc. But for retailer purposes, it's best to think that each state has it's own set of rules/ regulations, so there are many, many differences.

Draft saved Draft deleted