Quantcast

Announcements, etc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
We've had a bunch of questions just pop up regarding where and how to post announcements on sales, special projects, shows, etc.

My immediate thought is to allow this stuff in the more heavily surfed Kitchen Knife section since this would seem like the way to get more traffic to see these things but then upon thinking more about it I'm not so sure that's the best way to go. The issue is that where do we draw the line? It may appear a simple problem today but imagine a larger forum with 3 times the vendors and/or knifemakers all posting everytime they feel they have something special to announce. We've seen the negative effects of this sort of thing before from just a handful of vendors at KF, it's not something that we welcome to happen here.

So with all that said, it appears that we either keep things the way they are with having your own subforum to which can be easily surfed and searched or we abandon the vendor/knifemaking sub-forums for a format where you post in the Kitchen Knife section instead.

We feel the way to move forward is to keep this current set up and limit vendor announcements to your own sub-forums but maybe you guys feel differently. We want to give you the best solutions that we can that support your businesses as much as possible, this is very important to us.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about this subject so please comment if you like.

Dave

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
We've had a bunch of questions just pop up regarding where and how to post announcements on sales, special projects, shows, etc.

My immediate thought is to allow this stuff in the more heavily surfed Kitchen Knife section since this would seem like the way to get more traffic to see these things but then upon thinking more about it I'm not so sure that's the best way to go. The issue is that where do we draw the line? It may appear a simple problem today but imagine a larger forum with 3 times the vendors and/or knifemakers all posting everytime they feel they have something special to announce. We've seen the negative effects of this sort of thing before from just a handful of vendors at KF, it's not something that we welcome to happen here.

So with all that said, it appears that we either keep things the way they are with having your own subforum to which can be easily surfed and searched or we abandon the vendor/knifemaking sub-forums for a format where you post in the Kitchen Knife section instead.

We feel the way to move forward is to keep this current set up and limit vendor announcements to your own sub-forums but maybe you guys feel differently. We want to give you the best solutions that we can that support your businesses as much as possible, this is very important to us.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about this subject so please comment if you like.

Dave
I entirely agree and i do my best to stick to this, with the exception of the Heiji thing today. And i dont feel bad about that one because i'm not making any money from it at all and its for a good cause. Otherwise, i agree, in the subforums is best.

By the way, sorry if the Heiji thing bothered you guys. I left the disclaimer at the top for you and jim.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Hi Jon, the Heiji thread isn't an issue at all, that's entirely different. I feel bad for them....such a bummer.

Dave

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
I also agree, everybody knows that there are vendor sufbforums and they will come by if they need anything. I appreciate that we can use a link in out signature for some subtle hints, but everything beyond that would be too much IMHO. No problems at all with the Heiji thread, I wish I could buy a knife but it's not in the budget righ now. Always wanted to try that steel and I have given up on that Shigefusa I ordered 2 1/2 years ago... Anyway, i hope that we can keep the overall picture here less commercial than on KF, even if we have more craftspeople offering their goods.

Stefan

Stefan

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started the current 10% discount thing a little quickly. I guess I should have cleared it first?

Might be a good idea for the future to have a "special" either cleared with Dave and the mods or scheduled so one doesn't interfere with someone else's and make sure it is announced in the proper place.

I really appreciate the sub-forum and the freedom it allows me to show off a little. I would hate to do something to ruin that.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
David, you did nothing wrong at all and you don't have to ask permission or clear sales with us.

I actually should be a little more clear in where I was coming from this thread. A few of you had approached me with the good intention of needing to know where to post certain things but I needed to think about it and consult with Jim (as he's the experienced forum mod guy with great insight) before I could answer. Then, after I talked with everything and thought about the past and future, I came here to post this. I'm just trying to find a happy medium for all concerned and hoping that you guys will give me your input. I'm not at all coming from the direction of people are doing things wrong and need to stop mindset - far from that. :)

Latest posts