Another “recommend me a wa-sujihiki” thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a suji to use almost exclusively for slicing cooked/smoked meats. 270mm minimum, doesn’t have to be stainless. Wa handle. Absolute max budget is $250. Mazaki? Thanks!

An "Egg Worthy" knife?

I like a little bit heavy, carbon or clad 270 for cooked / crusted meats. Heiji is one of my favs but no idea on new pricing.

My money is on Mazaki, gonna be hard to beat for the $$. I've used my 180 petty a lot more extensively on the line but found his grind and steel really nice for crusty protein slicing. Good retention for white steel and so easy to bring back

Oh, someone has a stainless Mazaki, can you tells more about it please.

To not totally derail the thread, what about kaeru, meets the price. I haven't used the suji but 240 gyuto is very good. Maybe someone has suju experience.

I have a Watanabe 240mm suji in B2 and it's just a lovely knife. Very thin and keeps an edge for ever.

I like my Toyama but it's a bit beyond your price limit.

I also like the The Shiro Kamo AS (I have the KnS Shinko Selian). It's much cheaper. Performs almost as well as the Toyama, maybe a little bit more friction in the cut (pretty minor difference). Both sharpen easily and have good edge retention.

Back