Another reason why . . .

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well.

I remember surprising a Cutco guy (friend's spouse's sibling) back when I was just using my old Henckels and just started sharpening. "I've never seen anyone make such thin slices off a tomato before!"

Some people will be satisfied with anything that's knife-shaped and they'll be fine with this recommendation. Others will look for better and this guy's advice will be costing them more money in the end.

All hail production line folders that are "razor sharp". I wouldn't shave with one of those even if I was paid ten grand.

The worst part of this is that he has been at some of the best farmer's markets in SoCal spewing his ignorance.

He's doing harm in terms of educating (mis-educating?) folks all around town, sure. However, in this case it's out of ignorance without mixing in self-interest. That isn't always the case.

I am so very very incredibly sad after reading this. A Cutco? Really? Especially when the question is, what's the right knife brand for the average user. Ugh. Beyond being pretty crappy, they're also just dang expensive. How is this the right knife for the average user?

"Well, the way I recommend all average outdoors-men start a campfire is by forgoing the kindling and all that stuff, and just bringing with them crisp stacks of 1 and 5 dollar bills to light."

I kind of want to get a cutco now just to try it out. As much as I love to complain about them, I've never used one!

The rep that came by our sushi bar trying to sell them to us(totally serious) showed us some pretty hefty pricetags.

I keep wanting to stop in at Rhino Knives in Santa Monica to listen to a similar of BS!

cutco knives aren't bad guys, come on if your gonna talk smack make sure it can be backed up... <- yeah right, I have owned a set of cutcos and let me tell you guys... any cheap knife is comparable... cheap as in the walmart 5 dollar chef knife. IN FACT! the knife I first bought to practice sharpening on was a sekizo stainless steel santoku (can't believe I just admitted that) and was 20 some bucks. It is leaps and bounds better than the cutcos.

[/QUOTE]I keep wanting to stop in at Rhino Knives in Santa Monica to listen to a similar of BS![/QUOTE]
Don't need to stop by. He posts mountains of s**t over on FF. Perhaps the most pompous a-hole in all knifedom. :saythat:

Oh I'm so glad you both have said this. I can't stand that guy. You should see the custom piece he just finished.

As for cutco there are worse knives out there. They aren't worth the asking price that is for sure, but perhaps it is because I have one that I almost never use although it sits sharpened waiting for some frozen food to dissect or some other task that is beneath real knives. I have it left over from my salesman days :eek2::O, but I don't find them all that horrific. It isn't a great knife despite its thinness, the steel in them is just not very good. Other than that if you're able to get them sharp they'll work for one maybe two home sessions, if you aren't cooking anything too elaborate prep wise.

From their video on how theyre made, it SEEMS like they're doing things decently right with the processes and explanations.

Would never buy one. That double d serrated mumbo jumbo makes me confused....

Don't need to stop by. He posts mountains of s**t over on FF. Perhaps the most pompous a-hole in all knifedom. :saythat:

I lost my temper with him there the other day after he tried to embarrass someone (I almost never post there, but couldn't help myself). I like reading FF, but he practically ruins it for me.

You should see the custom piece he just finished.

I did see it (unfortunately), and was tempted to comment on it, but decided to try to bite my tongue (if possible) before I get banned! I would take a Cutco over it any day of the week.

Anyway, my last thoughts on this subject.

Deal.

On the subject of Cutco knives, I'm pretty sure my mother has a few in her drawer courtesy of a friend of mine who sold them for a summer during college. Maybe I will dig them out and put them to work for a week.

.... You should see the custom piece he just finished.

I saw it and couldn't help noticing the lack of comments. I wanted to post, "I guess the lack of additional comments speaks volumes towards what people think about your latest work." But since it's been beat into my head since I was a kid, "If you don't have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut."

No, really?

GetInline-1.jpg

"The butterfly pattern of holes is to give purchase with a pinch hold on the spine. Your Pinky & Ring fingers can wrap around through the Index & Second finder cutouts while pinching."

-Laurence@RhinoKnives

Ya he is very serious about his design. He even has one that looks like someone got happy with a paper hole punch.

I was originally going to post that it looks like he's got a fixation on paper hole punches...

I could probably live with the obsession with punched holes if i was in dire need. But the edge curve? The Tramontinas i am forced to live with right now suddelny does not seem too bad! Or is it a butcher?

Jay Fischer makes some knives like that.

nN6Q.jpg
[/IMG]

Back