Another stone recommendation thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thpp9

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for an 1k splash and go stone to replace my King 1k. Even tho my King works fine, I would like something with the added convenience of splash and go. It will be mostly used for sharpening my beater Victorinox, but I would like it also to contribute to my kasumi progression.

Stones I am considering:

Np1k
Shapton Glass 1k
Shapton Pro 1k
Morihei 1k

Naniwa and Morihei are gonna cost me 30-35€ more with shipping compared to the Shaptons.

Are they worth the extra cash or should I just stick with a Shapton? Edge sharpening won't be an issue for sure, I just don't know if they are gonna be easy to work with in my kasumi progression.

Thank you in advance,
Thodoris

Cant speak to Kasumi or all the stones you mention but I do have both Shaptons. From the perspective of sharpening, I definitely prefer the Pro because it makes me smile and its got verity. It's very changeable to pressure, to mud, and overall its just fun to use. The Glass on the other hand is boring. Its very competent and leaves a good edge, but it just doesn't make me want to use it.

Cant speak to Kasumi or all the stones you mention but I do have both Shaptons. From the perspective of sharpening, I definitely prefer the Pro because it makes me smile and its got verity. It's very changeable to pressure, to mud, and overall its just fun to use. The Glass on the other hand is boring. Its very competent and leaves a good edge, but it just doesn't make me want to use it.
Thank you for the info! I will keep youe comparison in mind!

My Naniwa Pro 1k leaves a nicer kasumi polish than my Shapton Kuromaku 1k, but both are nice for kasumi. I recently left some pictures of a quick polish with these stones in the grandiose synth kasumi thread. I don’t think that you can go wrong with any of the stones that you are considering. I haven’t tried the Morihei 1k, but they seem well regarded for sharpening and polishing. I also don’t have a SG1k, but I do have a SG2k that I like to use in my current kasumi progression.

My Naniwa Pro 1k leaves a nicer kasumi polish than my Shapton Kuromaku 1k, but both are nice for kasumi. I recently left some pictures of a quick polish with these stones in the grandiose synth kasumi thread. I don’t think that you can go wrong with any of the stones that you are considering. I haven’t tried the Morihei 1k, but they seem well regarded for sharpening and polishing. I also don’t have a SG1k, but I do have a SG2k that I like to use in my current kasumi progression.
Thanks for your reply.

Np1k's finish seems pretty nice and way smoother than the Shapton's. These photos are really helpful. Also, SG2k was pretty surprising as well, didn't expect that contrast.

From now on, I will go a bit off topic, if that's fine with you.

First off all, I've got to say the final result on your Wakui is really nice! Good job. I have the Karasu 9k as well and really liking it so far.

How does the Sg2k feels? Is it on the harder side? And do you feel the need to include it between Np1k and JNS red aoto? JNS is another stone that I am interested in for replacing my NP3k (loving this one for sharpening, but polishing with it isn't really pleasant).

Finally, I am getting similar contrast with my Karasu, but I can't get as crispy the lamination line as you did. Do you happen to have any tips about that?

Sorry for going off topic and bombard you with those questions. I am hoping I am not that big of a bother to you.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply.

Np1k's finish seems pretty nice and way smoother than the Shapton's. These photos are really helpful. Also, SG2k was pretty surprising as well, didn't expect that contrast.

From now on, I will go a bit off topic, if that's fine with you.

First off all, I've got to say the final result on your Wakui is really nice! Good job. I have the Karasu 9k as well and really liking it so far.

How does the Sg2k feels? Is it on the harder side? And do you feel the need to include it between Np1k and JNS red aoto? JNS is another stone that I am interested in for replacing my NP3k (loving this one for sharpening, but polishing with it isn't really pleasant).

Finally, I am getting similar contrast with my Karasu, but I can't get as crispy the lamination line as you did. Do you happen to have any tips about that?

Sorry for going off topic and bombard you with those questions. I am hoping I am not that big of a bother to you.

Thanks in advance!
Thank you!

The SG2k feels decent. I am honestly not the best person to ask about feeling, but I will try to answer. It does feel pretty hard and smoothish, but it cuts quickly. Once mud is built up, and it starts to dry out a bit, it feels a little sticky like other magnesia bonded stones that I have. When it feels sticky, you can smooth it out or loosen it by adding a little water. It doesn’t feel as scratchy as my Cerax 1k. I don’t know if I need the SG2k between the 1k and the JNS red Aoto. I can try this out and get back to you. The JNS red Aoto is the most forgiving stone for polishing that I have, and it leaves a nice finish without much work, so I definitely recommend it for kasumi polishing.

I don’t know how I got the cladding line so crisp. I mostly don’t know what I am doing; I just rub the knife on the stone until I am happy with it, and I stop there so it doesn’t get worse if I keep going. I tried to get good contrast with all of my stones that came before the Morihei 9k, so maybe that helped. Does the other knife that I posted (iron clad blue #2) have a lamination line that is as crisp? If not, maybe the stainless cladding creates alot of contrast with the carbon core. You can post how your knife looks here to possibly get some advise, or you can pm me, and I can try to help.

No worries about the questions! This forum has helped me so much, and I am happy to help someone out when I can. I hope that this answered your questions. If not or if you have more questions, feel free to ask them. Good luck!

Thanks for your honest answer. Your stone breakdown was really helpful.

I mostly don’t know what I am doing; I just rub the knife on the stone until I am happy with it, and I stop there so it doesn’t get worse if I keep going

That had me dying because it feels so relatable. Honestly, I am doing mostly the same thing 😂

Last edited:
I haven’t used one extensively for polishing but I’ve seen a few other people echo @mrmoves92 ’s sentiment and really like the NP1K for kasumi stuff.

I probably wouldn’t expect it to be as good as a soaked King for polishing, but for SnG it does seem to get a lot of love.

I can’t speak to the other options, but NP1k does get nice and muddy when you want to for the contrast, cleans up core steel quickly when clean. It’s well behaved in terms of polishing, not streaky and seems well placed before things start getting weird, grabby and chattery when going up the grit ladder. An “easy” polisher with a lot of range. .

Possibly less than helpful with no comparison to the other stones, but I find it useful :).

Back