Another swede!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccris

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im a Swedish guy from Stockholm in my early thirties who became a dad a few months ago. During late nights and early mornings with the baby, I found myself researching Japanese kitchen knifes….
This has since a while ago spiralled into a new found hobby (and growing collection.) The collection consists at the moment of the following
Watanabe professional nakiri 165mm
Moritaka Gyuto 210mm
Shiro Kamo black dragon Santoku 165mm
Tsunehisa AO super Gyuto 210mm.

Any tips for the next step?
D45EAF66-3156-473C-9687-84726D7DBDC8.jpeg

Hey guys,
Im a Swedish guy from Stockholm in my early thirties who became a dad a few months ago. During late nights and early mornings with the baby, I found myself researching Japanese kitchen knifes….
This has since a while ago spiralled into a new found hobby (and growing collection.) The collection consists at the moment of the following
Watanabe professional nakiri 165mm
Moritaka Gyuto 210mm
Shiro Kamo black dragon Santoku 165mm
Tsunehisa AO super Gyuto 210mm.

Any tips for the next step?
View attachment 224493

There’s a ton of excellent makers in Sweden you should check out. Bjorn Birgersson is one I have and highly recommend. Other forum favorites include Jonas Johnsson / Isasmedjan and Robin Dalman. Another I’ve been considering trying out is AG Klint. And I almost forgot your namesake Lars Kgren.

There’s a ton of excellent makers in Sweden you should check out. Bjorn Birgersson is one I have and highly recommend. Other forum favorites include Jonas Johnsson / Isasmedjan and Robin Dalman. Another I’ve been considering trying out is AG Klint. And I almost forgot your namesake Lars Kgren.
Definitely agree on the Birgersson part, I have a small Gyuto of his, my favourite knife by far. Will be joining a knife making course at Isasmedjan in two weeks, very much looking forward to meeting Jonas and see his work!

Välkommen! Then you are somewhat in the same situation in life as I am. I agree with the speaker above about learning to grind well. I don't have any remarkable stones, but that's probably the next thing to buy for me. I am also new to this forum, kids be skree,ing gotta go

Welcome.

I'm pretty sure that the forum's Swedes can point you to some Swedish makers.

What do you think of the Tsunehisa gyuto in use?
Honestly its great, Sharp as a laser and gets a beautiful patina. Although if I would sell a knife the tsunehisa would be the first to go, if that makes any sense……😂

Välkommen! Then you are somewhat in the same situation in life as I am. I agree with the speaker above about learning to grind well. I don't have any remarkable stones, but that's probably the next thing to buy for me. I am also new to this forum, kids be skree,ing gotta go
Yeah, sharpening scares me a bit….wouldn’t want to **** a knife up so badly it’s no use anymore 😂.
But I suppose it the way to go to really know your knives.

Back