Another Workhorse

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Alexec, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jul 11, 2018 #1

Alexec

Alexec

Alexec

Cyprus

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Gyuto, Bunka

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Any

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    180mm to 240
    Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    Stainless clad or Ss

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    250-300 with shipping and taxes

I have a lot of knives I just like adding more to the collection. Now i want a Bunka or a Gyuto that can be used for everdday tasks, can get abused for all around jobs. A workhorse.

2. Jul 11, 2018 #2

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

SR. Supporting Member

I've had really good experience with Kaeru from JNS so far. It is SS clad SLD, which is very close to stainless. It's been acting as a "workhorse" in the durability definition of the word, which is what it sounds like you are looking for.

3. Jul 11, 2018 #3

Alexec

Alexec

Alexec

I own an Itinomonn. How could you compare?

4. Jul 11, 2018 #4

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

SR. Supporting Member

I've had a 210 and 240 SS Itinomonn and have 240 Kaeru. I can't compare them side by side as I don't have itinomonn any more. from what I can remember for my examples of the knives...profiles are different, Kaeru is slightly flatter even though itinomonn also had a long flat spot. Itinomonn had a thinner tip and was slightly thinner behind the edge, food release is similar for me with slight edge going to itinommon. Kaeru is more stainless and the edge is more durable in my experience, probably because it is slightly thicker behind the edge, hard to say since I don't have both at the same time. I feel like Kaeru is better as a durable workhorse vs itinommon being a slightly better cutter with a less stable edge. Again, my examples of the knives and going from memory, hopefully someone has both right now to do a better comparison.

5. Jul 11, 2018 #5

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Can’t comment on itinomonn but you description of kaeru is accurate. I often wonder if I’d like mine more if I thinned it a bunch or if it’s at its best w workhorse grind.

6. Jul 11, 2018 #6

JaVa

JaVa

JaVa

SR. Supporting Member

I bought a Tanaka VG10 190 yo gyuto and 150 petty for my wife and I too use them almost every day as the-jack-of-all-trades blades at home. They've held up really well. they're true warhorse knives IMO. I used to have the 240 version too and miss it. It has enough meat behind the edge to add strength so it's not too fragile, but it's not that fat to hurt the performance. Something about that Tanaka convex grind that really works for me. (Same with the B2 dammy knives.)

I know it's only VG10, but Tanaka really knows how to treat it properly. It's so much better then the reputation of the VG10 steel would let you expect.

They're affordable enough too so if something were to happen to it, it won't be the end of the world. I really enjoy using them a lot.

7. Jul 13, 2018 #7

Alexec

Alexec

Alexec

Wouldnt a blue or a ginsan tanaka work better?

8. Jul 14, 2018 #8

JaVa

JaVa

JaVa

SR. Supporting Member

You wanted SS or SS clad which would eliminate the B2 dammy. Other then that it would be great.

The ginsan nashiji and B2 nashiji are pretty thin behind the edge and in that sense don’t have your typical workhorse grind. But looking at your other thread and your shortlist there, both of these would fit right in the mix.

9. Jul 14, 2018 #9

Alexec

Alexec

Alexec

Thanks. How about KU?

10. Jul 14, 2018 #10

JaVa

JaVa

JaVa

SR. Supporting Member

I own all the others, but not the KU. My coworker has one and it’s great too. The thinnes behind the edge is close to the VG10 dammy and B2 dammy. IMO they all are right there in the workhorse range. Thin enough that perform well but not too thin to compromise the strength.

Although the KU is also fully reactive and not SS clad if that still matters? There also have been times when guys here would have liked the KU:s to be thinner behind the edge. So there might be some variation with them. It could just be the current thin behind the edge trend effecting that?

But if you get one from James he’ll pick a good one for if requested.

11. Jul 14, 2018 #11

Alexec

Alexec

Alexec

Thank you very much!