Anryu AS 210mm Gyuto, problem?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan83

Reaction score
New here... and new to Japanese knives as well.
Is this gash in the spine part of the hand forged knife game or something I should be worried about Q/A wise?

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_1431328.jpg
    IMG_20201122_1431328.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 140
It looks like the hammer finishing process chipped out a bit of the spine. I have several hammered Anryu knives, but none of them have similar defects. It's a relatively small thing, but I personally get annoyed if there are cosmetic defects on a new knife. I don't know that you should be worried per se, but it's less than ideal.

It looks like the hammer finishing process chipped out a bit of the spine. I have several hammered Anryu knives, but none of them have similar defects. It's a relatively small thing, but I personally get annoyed if there are cosmetic defects on a new knife. I don't know that you should be worried per se, but it's less than ideal.

Thanks. I feel exactly how you described the annoyance of cosmetic defects on new knives.
I'd rather get a bicuspid removed than return a Anryu; I paid $330 Canadian for it.
Worth returning and starting the gyuto search over, or would you keep it?

I think it's a non-issue. I would sand it out as part of my normal routine of smoothing the spine anyways. Few minutes with a 120 or 220grit sandpaper, and follow up with 400 or 600.

It depends on how much it bothers you. I had an AS Anryu sujihiki arrive with some hammer marks on the spine and some discoloration on the KU (as well as a few places where the KU finish was ground away where it shouldn't have been). It bothered me enough that I swapped it out for a replacement. I was happy I did. But the issue on this knife isn't nearly as bad, and can likely be fixed with some sandpaper and elbow grease.

Thanks for all the input and advice. Decided to keep it, and as suggested, use the sandpaper approach to clean it up a bit.

Back