• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Antique E. Dehillerin France copper saucepot

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

KnightKnightForever

Chef and Dad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had this forever.. It was made some time in the early 1900’s by E. Dehillerin in France. It’s a smaller pot - max capacity is 5 cups, but it comfortably holds 4 cups or 1 qt. Have used it for countless sauces. I had it professionally retinned around 2015. I’d rather have $$$ for nice knives at this point, than nice pots and pans.

3mm copper, measures 5” across the top and 3” height. You just can’t get this kind of quality in newer brands today, especially the way it evenly and gently heats sauces at extremely low temperatures. I can clean up outside patina with Barkeeper’s Friend if you prefer.

$275 shipped, OBO SPF

Attachments

Last edited:

ptolemy

Reaction score
Hi
Would you mind taking caliper measurements in multiple places and posting those pictures? Also, that does not look like tin inside. Rivets look more to be stainless and lining either nickel or stainless? Perhaps wrong pictures uploaded?

Helicon

Reaction score
Not to mention that E. Dehillerin has never made copper cookware. And anything made before the 1960s wouldn't have been stamped "Made in France". This listing is completely fraudulent.

Last edited:

KnightKnightForever

Chef and Dad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that E. Dehillerin has never made copper cookware. And anything made before the 1960s wouldn't have been stamped "Made in France". This listing is completely fraudulent.

Here's an example of a similar style pot, not in as good condition. Before you come on here talking about I'm a fraud, maybe do some research yourself. I'm not an expert on Dehillerin, but the guy I got it from has an entire collection and I have no reason to not believe him. And Dehillerin is literally known for making sturdy 3-4mm copper cookware... The one in the link is even 2mm, which is quite a bit thinner.

ptolemy

Reaction score

Here's an example of a similar style pot, not in as good condition. Before you come on here talking about I'm a fraud, maybe do some research yourself. I'm not an expert on Dehillerin, but the guy I got it from has an entire collection and I have no reason to not believe him. And Dehillerin is literally known for making sturdy 3-4mm copper cookware... The one in the link is even 2mm, which is quite a bit thinner.
a few things:
  • Dehillerin is a store, not a manufacturer, most of their stuff does say that on the pan, but they do not make it
  • That pan you link is clearly older (look at marks) and is clearly tinned. I would have no issue believing that it's from 1950's
  • They are not known for making 3-4mm cookware. they are known for selling it though :).

KnightKnightForever

Chef and Dad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi
Would you mind taking caliper measurements in multiple places and posting those pictures? Also, that does not look like tin inside. Rivets look more to be stainless and lining either nickel or stainless? Perhaps wrong pictures uploaded?
It's definitely tin. Sorry if it doesn't appear that way.

Helicon

Reaction score

Here's an example of a similar style pot, not in as good condition. Before you come on here talking about I'm a fraud, maybe do some research yourself. I'm not an expert on Dehillerin, but the guy I got it from has an entire collection and I have no reason to not believe him. And Dehillerin is literally known for making sturdy 3-4mm copper cookware...
Yeesh, keep digging. You really need to do your due diligence. The windsor you linked to on Etsy *is* actually tin lined, or it was, mostly. You'll notice it has copper – not SS – rivets, as well. Real tin-lined copper cookware never has SS rivets. There's also no such thing as hammered SS-lined copper cookware. Tin and silver-lined, yes.

E. Dehillerin is a widely renowned seller of kitchen equipment in Paris, but they've never made their own copper cookware. It's made for them, mostly by Mauviel, although it's possible some other manufacturers supplied them long, long ago. What you have is most likely a 1970s-1990s Mauviel 2.5 mm bimetal (SS-lined) copper saucepan. Take a few more caliper measurements along the rim, preferably dead straight ones, and see what you find. You were sold a pup.

If you'd been paying attention, you'd also have noticed the lack of a "Made in France" stamp on that 1950s windsor. They weren't used pre-1960s. In short, trusting sellers on Etsy to accurately describe their wares is reckless, to say the least.