Antique Wusthofs dating help please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

crockerculinary

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello KKF historians. So I picked up these awesomely crunchy old Wusthofs at the antique market a couple of months ago, and I havent been able to find any similar online to compare. I should probably just email Wusthof, but i enjoy a good hunt, and thought i would check with you all first.

The large one is 14" and the smaller is 10", and they are marked “Ed. Wusthof Dreizackwerk Solingen, Germany” on one side and 147-14 and 147-10 on the other. Particularly unique (at least from my limited experience) is the pentagonal bolster shape.

I am primarily interested in knowing when these were made, but any additional info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ericfg

Reaction score
I know it's been two years but what ever happened to those two beauties?

crockerculinary

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha!, sorry for not following through. I still have these. I ended up emailing Wusthof and they got back to me after a couple weeks or so. Not quite as old as I had hoped. They are only 1950’s, but for me they are still very valuable. They just look so amazing, and when I hold them they feel like history. I know they have a story. Clearly they were well used. It is hard putting a price on something like this, but I am sure I will someday.

Ericfg

Reaction score
Those are still epic, even from the 50s. Did you re-handle them by chance?

Ericfg

Reaction score
Back to figuring out when these knives were made; even though you've ascertained a 1950s-era vintage... I've done some looking recently and I'd just guess at this stage but let's say post-WW2 the bigger German makers started using three, equally-sized rivets to hold their scales. And maybe pre-WW2 they used just pins, often one large one in the center of the handle and two smaller ones towards the ends of the handles?

Last edited:

ian

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made one, but then deleted my post because I felt so embarrassed. 🙄