Any experience with Gihei Hap40 gyuto

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Up_dog128, Feb 27, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 27, 2020 #1

Up_dog128

Up_dog128

Up_dog128

Steady Goofin'

I need to track down a stainless or semi-stainless 210 for my GF to use at work. She is a nanny and cook for a family, and occasionally other people with no understanding of knives will be using it. It needs to have very good edge retention and some decent belly for rocking, price likely $150 or less. It won't be used for tap chopping. Handle doesn't much matter. Considering the Gihei Hap40 210, amongst others... Anyone have any experience with this knife? Other suggestions?

2. Feb 27, 2020 #2

Eloh

Eloh

Eloh

Without very good sharpening skills a steel like hap40 doesn't make any sense whatsoever imo.
    Rather get a softer steel knife with a high quality "polishing rod" a la F. Dick micro. You can keep a knife sharp way longer and easier like this...

3. Feb 27, 2020 #3

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

Old Head

A coworker has this knife. Sharpens similarly to sg2 imho. That knife is rather small, though. Not very tall. Handle is very close to the choil. Tang was incredibly short and stubby. I would go with the 240 variant, as this seemed more like a large petty to me.

4. Feb 27, 2020 #4

Up_dog128

Up_dog128

Up_dog128

Steady Goofin'

I'm not looking for a soft steel knife to hit with a honing rod.
    I'll be sharpening this knife when it needs it, and that's why I want something that will really hold an edge (so I don't have to fool with too often).

Thanks for the lowdown. 240 is just too large for these foks, though. I was even considering a 180 as a posiibility. Also considering the kohetsu SLD 210 and a Takamura Chromax.

5. Feb 27, 2020 #5

Nagakin

Nagakin

Nagakin

Supporting Member

For $150, I would suggest looking at a lesser steel like VG-10 and finding the perfect grind and profile. You're not going to run into edge retention issues cooking for a single family, considering the majority of my peers use it in high volume commercial kitchens.

Besides, if others besides your girl are using it a cheaper 64+ hrc blade sounds like it'll be torqued and chipped bad eventually, and all you'll get out of it at that point is an ironic laugh about how you "saved time" sharpening.

6. Feb 27, 2020 #6

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

Supporting Member

It directly contradicts the canon here but if you're considering going to 180 look at some santoku.

7. Feb 27, 2020 #7

Up_dog128

Up_dog128

Up_dog128

Steady Goofin'

I know, cheaper, but they don't rock for sh*t.

That thought had crossed my mind, and I thank you for confirming and putting me in my place on that. I think that I was selfishly trying to get something exotic that I haven't tried out before :rolleyes:

Nagakin likes this.
  8. Feb 27, 2020 #8

Steel+Fire

Steel+Fire

Steel+Fire

I recently got my wife who works in a pro-kitchen a Takamura Chromax. 3 weeks in and it is holding up very well. I have stropped it once on leather after the first week she used it and she has not had any complaints thus far. Core steel gets a nice grey patina. No brainer for the money if you want something not made by Tojiro or another factory operation. Fit and finish is great for its price point.

9. Feb 27, 2020 #9

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Supporting Member

I have five ZDP 189 knives by Zwilling in various sizes. They hold an edge forever, aren’t especially difficult to sharpen and aren’t too expensive. Snooping around Cutlery and More should give you some options.

Nagakin likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted