Any experience with Watanabe pro vs Standard?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicVox72

Reaction score
I was researching what (and what type of) Deba to get, and it looks like Watanabe has all imaginable Deba types.

I was prepared to spend $250ish for a high quality Deba, but then I saw that he has the split between "Pro" and "Standard" knives -- and for the price of a pro Deba, I could get an Ajikiri + Sekikiri + change for shipping if I go with the standard series.

Of course, Sekikiri isn't the same as a Deba, but it might actually be more suitable for me (I mostly butcher soft boned fish like salmon, black cod, ...). But what about the quality difference between standard and pro?

The website makes it sound like steel, heat treat, and grind would be identical, just fit and finish, sharpening, and handle material would be different.

Does anyone have experience with Wat's standard series? How have you found the quality?

[Finally, someone on the west coast interested in splitting an order from him to save on shipping? :p ]

I don’t have experience with the standard wat series but for deba, I think it’s better to go with something cheaper. Majority of wat knives are good performer. Just my 2 cents.

The website makes it sound like steel, heat treat, and grind would be identical, just fit and finish, sharpening, and handle material would be different.

I think the opposite is true. It's the steel & HT that's different.

Standard is white steel.
Pro is blue steel.
Fit and finish and handle material should be similar unless you pay for a handle upgrade.

The website has both standard and pro listed as available in white2 and blue2.. some knives are only available in white for standard and blue for pro, but for many both are available.

Sakekiri? The standard is white, I bought a blue 2nd hand. Orig owner said it was about 100 USD premium for the blue.

Both are inexpensive as debas go, rustic, no frills. Like mine, about half the price of a pretty one

Back