Any experiences with blue-super single-bevel knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qapla'

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experiences with blue-super single-bevel knives?

I think Jon once wrote that they are more of a piece for foreign customers than actual practical, I might misremember tho.
I saw that post, yes, but I'm not so certain about that when I'd been seeing them for sale on Japanese-language sites (especially from companies who were selling such on Japanese-language sites years before they ever set up their English-language sites).

Last edited:
Anyone? Certainly the TFTFTF crowd would have some experience?

Anyone? Certainly the TFTFTF crowd would have some experience?
DO NOT get a TF single bevel, worst grind I’ve ever seen on a single bevel and I buy random auction single bevels with **** grinds. Yes his steel is very good, but stick to double bevels from TF. Tanaka has a line of single bevel AS, go for that. Or if you’re feeling spendy hunt down a Takeda single bevel AS. One day I’ll have one of those

Have a blue Wat deba (not sure of flavor), 180mm. Works fine, sharpens readily. Not as robust (intentionally)as my Toyama.

They’re not showing a picture of that ura on purpose I imagine. TF ura are garbage and if they’re calling KT out as bad in the description I bet it’s truly horrendous. Uras aren’t like wonky bevels on a gyuto, you almost certainly working out the wabi sabi on an ura

If you watch the video, at the 36 second mark he flips the blade and you can catch a glimpse of the ura. I have no context to judge however if it is any good or not.

That line on the back, sanmai but ground as single bevel? Looks a bit off...

@ethompson

I agree and have said before too. TF uras are the worst WORST uras I've ever worked on. The most inconsistently ground AND with koba on the URA side.

But they've been straight so ehhhhh

I also have gotten many auction knives just like @ethompson. The majority of knives are Sakai ground and thus have good uras but even the obscure makers have better uras than tf. They're bent often but that comes with all knives, the dealers just know how to do it

MAYBE the denka yanagibas are better ground and the one on the sharp knife shop looks that way. But my denka deba and maboroshi usuba single bevels were not good. Both had fat spine contact 1/3 close to the tip where the ura was too shallow there and an island of cladding contacted. And both had koba on the ura. . . Pretty large koba. The denka also had the heel unsharpened and quite darn thick ... Makes sense but still ...he does what he wants

Anyhoww, denka deba, aogami super single bevel

It's just what it is, or says it is. I wouldn't get it again, as for edge stability . . . For me, too hard for a deba unless there's a bigger koba

Last edited:
Thanks for that info all. Yeah, the ones I was looking at was were the Kikumori [Tanaka] and the Kirameki [I don't know who makes them]. I only mentioned the TF because I would have thought that his cult on the board would've had a lot of experience with blue-super, but they've seemed to have fallen eerily silent. And when TF's own vendors openly question the quality of their ura's, it's pretty clear why.

I believe the sakura line from Yamahide is blue 1. It's made by Iwai Takeshi and while I haven't personally used them (I'm a lefty), I do have a friend who is a sushi chef that has a few yanagiba and said it's been his favorite. I found it to be super tight work overall. The ura is super consistent and balance between everything is spot on. He only brought it in once to me for sharpening and it wasn't too bad.

Latest posts

Back