Any F1 fans here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart.s

Reaction score
Me, being from holland, really got excited yesterday. Max Verstappen got a good start to the season, being the fastest in all training sessions and getting pole position 🥳. Honda seems to have got their act together, the Alphatauri's also being fast.

Would this finally be the season where the dominance of Mercedes ends?

Close race. Great to see after so much Merc domination. Clearly RB still has reliability issues and I hope that doesn't bite them in the ass through the season. I can't see Max staying if they screw this up. The Aston Martins (even the AM safety car is cool) look good. And Mclaren are racy this year too.

Nice to see that RB can fight Mercedes now from the beginning of the season instead of playing catch up. Don't know what happened to Perez in the formation lap, but drove a solid race after that. If RB keeps this up, we are in for an exciting season 😃 .

Few of my 1/18 scale 60's F1. Sorry to get a little off topic
IMG_20210328_194815542.jpg
IMG_20210328_194844221.jpg
IMG_20210328_194944472.jpg
IMG_20210328_194944472.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_195008214.jpg
    IMG_20210328_195008214.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 12
Cars of that era are really beautiful and elegant. Those guys had guts, because deaths were very common. Luckily we have come a long way, just look at the crash of Grosjean last year in Bahrein.

If I had to pick some favorites from the 60s, I'd say the Lotus 49 and the Eagle mk1. Modern cars would be the '91 jordan and the '92 Williams. They even sounded beter than present day cars.

Last edited:
Heckuva drive by Checo,,,, starts from pit-lane (last) and finishes 5th,,,,,,,Wow!! I can't wait to see how he fares vs Max this season. Yuki Tsunoda was also VERY impressive.

To quote Perez: "It’ll take me five races to get the best out of Red Bull". One thing is for sure, once he is used to the car, he won't be giving any presents to Verstappen (as he shoudn't). Also very interested on how it plays out.

Cars of that era are really beautiful and elegant. Those guys had guts, because deaths were very common. Luckily we have come a long way, just look at the crash of Grosjean last year in Bahrein.

If I had to pick some favorites from the 60s, I'd say the Lotus 49 and the Eagle mk1. Modern cars would be the '91 jordan and the '92 Williams. They even sounded beter than present day cars.

I was fan of the Honda 3.0 liter cars of the late '60s with John Surteees at the wheel in addition to the Lotus and the Eagle

To quote Perez: "It’ll take me five races to get the best out of Red Bull". One thing is for sure, once he is used to the car, he won't be giving any presents to Verstappen (as he shoudn't). Also very interested on how it plays out.

Checko was also voted "Driver of the Day" after the race.

Lando finished just one position short of a podium (4th). Great drives from both McLaren drivers. Like Checko, this was Ricciardo's first race with a new team.(7th)

Sad to see what's happening with Seb. (grid penalty/started last/finished 15th) Only 16 cars finished the race.

The mclarens are definitely fast this year, having the mercedes power. Although I think they are still missing speed to be a serious treat to RB or mercedes.

Seb had the wrong strategy, going for an one-stop and staying out way too long on those tires. The crash and penalty didn't help either.

I'll have to check what sports channel. I get TDF
& World surfing so sure I have it.

I bet most on this thread have seen John Frankenheimer Grand Prix that came out in 1966. It's the kind of movie that needs a good home sound system.

In early 2000's went to Vegas with some Bartenders at work. I'm not a gambler but played same # on 100 dollar games & won on one of them. So did things like go to the auto displays. Saw a Lotus 25 was a work of mechanical art at its finest. Came back home go my first 1/18 die cast Lotus 25 # Dutch GP
IMG_20210328_231843431_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210329_120504097.jpg
IMG_20210328_231913504_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210328_231944987_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210329_120430172.jpg

The Ferrari 500 F2 1953 was my first CMC model German company made with cheap labor in China top of the line diecast. After collected many of the open wheel CMC racers.
For example this F2 has 1,463 parts, (1,150 are metal) four wheel working suspension.
IMG_20210329_120522354.jpg
]1
IMG_20210329_120651326_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210329_120734971_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210329_120751946_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_120617029.jpg
    IMG_20210329_120617029.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 9
OK I found it second round April 18 Imola Italy.
On ESPN2 I will put the series on timer boy they do a lot of races in a season.

Little info above cars silver Auto Union type C
1936 V16 cylinder powerhouse able to hit speeds of over 200mph in 1936. Built by Ferdinand Porsche. It didn't handle well at time on winding courses the Alfa Monza's still won races.

The blue car is the Bugatti type 35 the most winning gran prix car of all time. It dominated the 1920's winning over 600 races up into early 30's when Alfa Romeo Monza's dethroned it.

Bugatti was way ahead of his time. Light weight
Race cars, aluminum alloy wheels in 1920's!
Straight 8 supercharged engine.

Watch the car channel saw episode of Wayne Carini driving a replica type 35 made by Pursang in Argentina. Didn't even know about them. Jay Leno owns Bugatti type 35 & Alfa Romeo Monza hand built with english wheels & hammers shaping bodies by Argentine craftsmen. UTube has quite a few guys driving these true replicas. Leno can't take his 8 million dollar Bugatti on the road but these Pursang he cracks them open on the freeway.

Somehow think the world is a better place with
companies like Pursang.

The power in those old cars, with such thin wheels, nothing even resembling safety, absolutely incredible.

Those old cars are beautiful. Fast also, even by today's standards. All of them deathtraps.

I have been watching a lot of old seasons on the F1 TV Racing archive.

Link archive

They go back to 1970. Even back then, racing was very dangerous.

Those old cars are beautiful. Fast also, even by today's standards. All of them deathtraps.

I have been watching a lot of old seasons on the F1 TV Racing archive.

Link archive

They go back to 1970. Even back then, racing was very dangerous.
Jim Clark would agree. A promising career cut way too short by a V8 powered Cosworth Lotus 48. Arguably considered by many to be the best F1 driver of all time.

Jim-Clark.jpg

The power in those old cars, with such thin wheels, nothing even resembling safety, absolutely incredible.

I noticed the tires are thicker on the pursang from what have seen in archival pictures & restored type 35. Also plain bearings better metals in engine making it more reliable & diff firing order for more HP. And cooling fan.

I've been a F! fan since the 60s and attended several races.

Not trying to raise fireworks, but I have to say the bureaucrats that currently run F1 are killing the sport. Lewis Hamilton exceeds track limits 29 times on turn 4, but is ruled to "not have gained an advantage." If he wasn't gaining an advantage, he wouldn't be using that line. Max does it as he passes Lewis and is immediately told to relinquish the position. Hmmm....

I've been a F! fan since the 60s and attended several races.

Not trying to raise fireworks, but I have to say the bureaucrats that currently run F1 are killing the sport. Lewis Hamilton exceeds track limits 29 times on turn 4, but is ruled to "not have gained an advantage." If he wasn't gaining an advantage, he wouldn't be using that line. Max does it as he passes Lewis and is immediately told to relinquish the position. Hmmm....
He was warned by race direction not do it but continued without repercussions. Stinks tbh

The rules were very sketchy about turn 4. They couldn't go wide in P or Q, but they wouldn't monitor it during the race. When taking the wider line, it can save 0.1/0.2 sec a lap and puts less load on the tires.

I do think that Masi should have been on top of this, giving a warning to Hamilton after the third or so time.

In many sports bureaucrats may overthink situations. American football is example. Most changes are for a reason like opening up the passing game by limiting the tackle tactics severely. It's smart though safety is important
or mom's will not let their kids play football.

Even in 1994 Senna of Brazil was killed when a wheel came off & hit him in the head. That's why safety skirts over front wheels now.

The cars are not sexy as in the golden years in the 1960's. But they were death traps. Even gas tanks on Lotus wrapped around the driver's seat. Even so they were beautiful machines.

The turn 4 issue was a typical Masi mess. Lewis did not gain an advantage? How's that? Of course he did. 29 times!!!! I have been a passionate fan of the sport since the late 50's and have been involved in racing most of my life. But this recent decade of F1 has left me feeling very sad for the sport. I thought that Liberty were going to get things sorted but looks like its all about the money and not the racing.

OK I found it second round April 18 Imola Italy.
On ESPN2 I will put the series on timer boy they do a lot of races in a season.
Make sure you record the program after as they always run long and you will miss the end for sure! The best way is to spring for ESPN+. Its so worth the money if you love racing. The F2 races are brilliant...way better than F1. Plus it's all on demand so no stupid recording needs. And they show more stuff in the build shows up too.

Back