Any F1 fans here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you record the program after as they always run long and you will miss the end for sure! The best way is to spring for ESPN+. Its so worth the money if you love racing. The F2 races are brilliant...way better than F1. Plus it's all on demand so no stupid recording needs. And they show more stuff in the build shows up too.

Thanks Bro do that with boxing after watching pre fights only to run out of time in the main event.

Jim Clark drove that #4 diecast model above at Dutch GP 1962. Car was low, driver was laying down in the driver tub. Was far stiffer & only weight 995 lbs.

Next year he dominated winning many races & the F1 world championship.

Later he died driving the Ford Cosworth V8 Lotus 48. I have that model too.
IMG_20210328_233358072.jpg

I was at Brands Hatch that day watching the BOAC 500 which he was supposed to be driving in. But some of the top F1 guys decided to race in the F2 Hockenheim race so he had to go there instead :(

The rules were very sketchy about turn 4. They couldn't go wide in P or Q, but they wouldn't monitor it during the race. When taking the wider line, it can save 0.1/0.2 sec a lap and puts less load on the tires.

I do think that Masi should have been on top of this, giving a warning to Hamilton after the third or so time.
This. When rule enforcement becomes arbitrary and seemingly uneven, the integrity of the sport suffers. Hamilton went beyond track limits deliberately until his team told him he should stop doing it before the stewards took action. Changing the rules on the fly and making lame excuses for not taking action sooner is not the way forward.

Even in 1994 Senna of Brazil was killed when a wheel came off & hit him in the head. That's why safety skirts over front wheels now.
Thats not what killed him. He hit a concrete wall at over 140mph, parts of the vehicle penetrated his helmet and he died from skull fractures and a burst cerebral artery. I think there have been other incidents over the years involving wheels which resulted in the tethering system being implemented.

In many sports bureaucrats may overthink situations. American football is example. Most changes are for a reason like opening up the passing game by limiting the tackle tactics severely. It's smart though safety is important
or mom's will not let their kids play football.

Even in 1994 Senna of Brazil was killed when a wheel came off & hit him in the head. That's why safety skirts over front wheels now.

The cars are not sexy as in the golden years in the 1960's. But they were death traps. Even gas tanks on Lotus wrapped around the driver's seat. Even so they were beautiful machines.

Yes he did get hit by the right front wheel and then a piece of suspension and a piece of the upright punctured his helmet. Apparently the wheel drove his head into the headrest which was displaced due to the original impact, that then caused massive skull fractures. So while there were 3 different things that could have resulted in his death. The wheel and headrest were apparently the actual reason. At least that is what I always understood.

Safety skirts in F1, no. Wheel tethers, yes.

Again, what a qualification 😍.
1, 2 and 3 within a tenth of a second.

Perez suprised me with his last lap, but good to see he is getting used to the car. Max wil be sick about it 😅.

It is going to be an exciting race tomorrow, with 2 RB's hunting Hamilton. Max is on the same tyre strategy as Hamilton. And he finally has what he needs, a wingman that can keep up. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Bart
Do they do vintage & special races like Porsche GT4. Seems I saw couple races on TV from track in Holland.

McLaren are looking racy. Shame about Norris' last lap. Not sure what's up with Bottas.

Hamilton is the worst dominant athlete, no charisma what so ever lol

Raikonnen or Schumacher might win that particular competition. Vettel wouldn't be my first choice for a dinner party. Hamilton may not be the most charismatic guy in the world but he gives a good interview with thoughtful rather than stock answers. I'd love to have a beer with the guy.

Bart
Do they do vintage & special races like Porsche GT4. Seems I saw couple races on TV from track in Holland.

Must have been the Historic grand prix at Zandvoort. It's an event they organize each year, they get on the circuit with old sportcars, touringcars, GT's and F1 cars, dating back to the 60's, some even older.

Well I'm taping the series live 3am you when wake up in Hawaii can watch it & skip commercials.

Flashing rain lights plenty crashes. I'll have to research the cars & driver's so know more about modern F1.

Great race. I love these old school race tracks like Imola, Spa and Monza.

It was exciting race. Hamilton falling way back from close 2nd place when he spun out to 9th. Racing back to second place at finish.

Max won by a large margin in a Red Bull Honda.

Interesting the modern F1 engines. 1.6 liter V6
with turbocharging & hybrid electric energy recovery systems. Amazing the HP they can get out of a 1.5L V6.

I read today that only engine makers are Mercedes, Honda, Ferrari, & Renault.
They are complex and expensive to build.

Honda is considering dropping out of F1 engine
production. That is not good Honda being a leader in racing & engines for vehicles.

I read somewhere that the Japan government wants all Japanese car companies to only produce electric vehicles in coming decades.

There has been push back from Toyota & Honda. Folks are saying all road vehicles will be
electric sooner than you think. I'll believe it when I see it. Nickel Cad. batteries have to get better if they can produce better batteries at reasonable cost then electric will expand quickly.

Hopefully I'm of an age that I'll never have to endure that nightmare. Now if hydrogen becomes mainstream for consumer vehicles I may reconsider. Not so much a Tiger in your tank but a Zeppelin.......

Honda announced their withdrawal already, however an agreement was reached with Red Bull to continue to develop the powerplant with Honda advisors. I don't know how Red Bull will brand their power unit next year, but it won't be branded Honda.
Lewis Hamilton was down a lap which he was allowed to take back after the red flag restart. His result is artificial in my opinion.

I should add - Max Verstappen and Lando Norris drove a master class race. It's exciting to see young talent showing their mettle.

What a race, max had a great start. Norris also had a solid race. Was a little disappointed in Perez however. After het qualification, I thought he would do better on sunday. Overtaking during the SC is just a rookie mistake.

And Hamilton. Coming from P9 back to P2, where Bottas couldn't get it done in the same car. But the luck on that guy, spinning off the track and seconds later Russell and Bottas crash, A SC and thereby not losing to much time and getting his pitstop basically for free 😅.

On electric cars; my sister had a small one. With a range of about 250km (155 miles). However, this winter, when below 0°c, the thing would not charge fully anymore because of the cold. Range dropped down to about 150km (93 miles). Also, when below 50km (31 miles) things like the heater would turn off to safe battery. While it was ok to drive, I don't think that, at this moment, electric cars are that practical. Not to mention if you had to drive a long distance. Anyway, my sister traded it and is back to petrol.

Last edited:
Agree hybrids maybe. Don't you know charging stations will be all over LOL. As said batteries not good enough yet to replace ICE.

Self driving computers so you don't even have to drive. Just sit back.

Rode Motorcycles most my life. At least have a 6-speed manual in my Subaru.

F1 in Miami? Ugh. Course plonked down at what looks to be a parking lot surrounding a stadium. Dead flat track with no natural features. Blazing hot and humid to make the drivers and crowd miserable. I wish F1 wouldn't just sell races to high bidders.

The tracks seems indeed to be a streetcircuit, a little like Albert Park Australia. While there are tracks in the US that I like more (Sonoma, Laguna Seca for example), the reality is that in the US there are almost none Grade 1 circuits for F1, COTA and miami being the only ones now. That, of course, limits the options.

As for the climate, can't be worse than Singapore 😜

Last edited:
Tracks like Laguna Seca & Watkins Glen stay afloat with many types of track day events. Guess it's the same with tracks in other countries.

It would be good if F1 racing could get more popular in USA. It's like Cycling didn't know much at all about it. When Greg Lemonde started winning got some coverage in USA. back in late 1980's.

Now can get the major tours on TV here but don't think it is that popular. (Soccer) another non US sport has caught on big time. My niece was a good player in woman's game.

I liked Motorcycle racing back from American Kenny Roberts days, others like Eddy Lawson & Wayne Rainey. The Australian Mick Doohan. In later years the great Valentino Rossi.

Huge Boxing fan.

Mario Andretti who was champion in many types of American car racing considered F1 the top of the sport. He is a living legend in USA.

Never watched much F1. Been reading quite a bit last week how the cars work the functions on the steering "wheel". Didn't even know Hamilton had won so many. Seems like this present engine & car technology he has been dominate. It's like other sports people don't like winners that dominate. Like Tom Brady, Eddy Merckx, even so can't deny greatness of those two in their sports.

Looking forward to following this season because of this thread.

Well, it's a good F1 season to begin following. Mercedes is, for quite some years, been the dominant team with the best cars. This season however, RB seems to have an answer. In the past seasons, they have been able to keep up/win after car updates in the late season. This season they seem to be able to keep up from the beginning, so it is going to be an exciting season.

As to cycling, I'm not really a fan, but didn't it catch on in the US when Lance Armstrong was champion?

Well Greg was first that's around time I was doing cycle to the Sun races on Maui. Got interested in Cycling couldn't get much at all in coverage in US. Of coarse Lance Armstrong changed that. After his lies & cheating got turned off the sport myself for a while. Started watching again few years ago. There are so many sports channels now can find what you like. Things like Cycling, F1 & surfing are not followed like Nascar, Football, Basketball. They get small % of watchers. Just glad can watch world surfing tour another small % watched sport that like.

Back