Any F1 fans here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last couple of years the more American sports like basketball, Nascar and Indy became somewhat easier to watch in Europe. But very small % of watchers, as soccer and F1 are more popular here. But I do watch the big races like the Indy 500. Too bad Alonso didn't do so well at the Indy. Don't think he'll be racing it this year, as he now races for Alpine F1.

I think most people here know, I work for Honda F1.
200.gif

Wow, serious? 😍 Never would have imagined that on this forum. I'd love to hear some more about your job and the engine. Don't spare me any boring detail 😁.

Unfortunately due to NDA's we can't say much. But in my department we handle intercompany technology transfer between HRD-MK, HRD, HPD, AMS and AHM/HM.

Basically we make sure that all that we learn from either simulation or actual test data are shared across F1, INDYCAR, IMSA, SCORE, WEC, MOTOGP/X and finally Production.

Unfortunately due to NDA's we can't say much.

Thought as much, but you can't blame a guy for trying, right? 😁

But could you tell me something about the future of Honda in racing in general? They seem to leave F1 in favor for more hybrid/electric engines. Will this be true for more racing categories?

Thought as much, but you can't blame a guy for trying, right? 😁

But could you tell me something about the future of Honda in racing in general? They seem to leave F1 in favor for more hybrid/electric engines. Will this be true for more racing categories?

The issue with F1 isn't really the Engine emissions it's the carbon emissions that's produced while participating in the sport. Boats full of cargo, jets full of cargo, non-stop 24 hour Dyno's running, WindTunnel Testing... I mean the list goes on. Honda is very cautious of respecting the world and being a company that civilization wants to exist.

We made a goal many years ago to aim to be carbon-free and collision-free (you can read more about it by searching Honda 2030 vision). Unfortunately F1 is a big part of what would be considered "unnecessary emissions".

Believe me... we all feel the pain. We love racing. It's in our DNA and to compete and win at the highest level after so many years is a truly proud feeling.

We currently have plans to continue in INDYCAR for the foreseeable future and we have recently announced that we will race in the new LMDh series in IMSA with Acura Motorsports.

I can imagine that you feel the pain, Honda is a company with a rich racing history. But I hope that Honda, RB and Max can keep it going this season and who knows, perhaps even win the championship. Would be a beautiful end for Honda. While I also think it's a pity that Honda stops, I can appreciate that, as a company, they take a stand and sticking with it.

But going into 2022, is that really the end or will you guys stick around somewhat as advisors to Red Bull?

I can imagine that you feel the pain, Honda is a company with a rich racing history. But I hope that Honda, RB and Max can keep it going this season and who knows, perhaps even win the championship. Would be a beautiful end for Honda. While I also think it's a pity that Honda stops, I can appreciate that, as a company, they take a stand and sticking with it.

But going into 2022, is that really the end or will you guys stick around somewhat as advisors to Red Bull?

Unfortunately I am not authorized to discuss such matters as things are still very fluid. We are currently working on a full withdrawal by the end of the season.

I know a lot of us are discussing our options with Honda post F1 departure and there's plenty of possibilities for staff to move to RB and other racing programs within Honda. So some faces in the paddock may not change... just the name on the paycheck.

Unfortunately I am not authorized to discuss such matters as things are still very fluid. We are currently working on a full withdrawal by the end of the season.

I know a lot of us are discussing our options with Honda post F1 departure and there's plenty of possibilities for staff to move to RB and other racing programs within Honda. So some faces in the paddock may not change... just the name on the paycheck.

I can image that it will be an insecure time for you guys. I really hope some of you guys will stick around in F1 or other racing categories. It would be a shame to lose such talent and know-how.

What Honda has achieved in F1 since 2015 is really quite remarkable. I'd have to admit, when RB made the switch to Honda engines I was a bit skeptical at first. But the progress you have made the last couple of years, I take my hat off for you guys!

I've been a F1 (Max and RB) fan for some time, really cool to be able to talk to someone who is a part of it. If there are things in the future that you are allowed to share, I would love to hear them!

Soichiro Honda is in automotive hall of fame.
One of the best starting off putting small motors on bicycles. The rest is history.

My first Japanese bike was a Honda CL 350 Scrambler. Had upswept pipes, blue paint early 1970's.

It was more of a road bike too heavy for true off
road. I sold my now classic 441 BSA Victor to get it. It was a good bike & had electric start.
Looked cool & reliable.

When I was able to get a Honda CB 750 at a good price used got it. Motorcycle bliss.
Both the 350 & especially the CB 750 are classics. Many have been modified stripped down popular as cafe racers.

My last bike was a Kawasaki 650 R ninja. water cooled, 3/4 faired twin. Thin light standard position handle bars for older folks another very nice Japanese bike.

Had a Vtec Honda car put coilovers racing brace, short shifter on the 5 speed manual.

I'm new to modern F1 have been reading quite a bit this week. When Ferrari put paddle shifters
on its cars was much faster than a stick. Computers may not be good enough to make it full automatic in demanding racing conditions.
Even if it can racers are driving the car by active
feel shifting with paddles.

I hope F1 can get more popular in US. They spend a lot of money to keep those cars going.

What Honda has achieved in F1 since 2015 is really quite remarkable. I'd have to admit, when RB made the switch to Honda engines I was a bit skeptical at first. But the progress you have made the last couple of years, I take my hat off for you guys!

Ever since the Honda 250 MotoGP bike in the 1960s, the world has learned never to underestimate the engineering prowess of Honda.

Yeh when found out this is Honda's last year after so many years of engine excellence.

Know very little of modern F1, but can't help but root for Honda to win in it's last year. Looks like Max has best chance to break the Hamilton Mercedes dominance.

I can image that it will be an insecure time for you guys. I really hope some of you guys will stick around in F1 or other racing categories. It would be a shame to lose such talent and know-how.

I've been a F1 (Max and RB) fan for some time, really cool to be able to talk to someone who is a part of it. If there are things in the future that you are allowed to share, I would love to hear them!

I've been with Honda for about 10 years now and integrated in engine development since the inception of an F1 return. Reality is that due to the lack of on-track testing allowed by F1 its utterly impossible to enter the series with a rocket ship.

I too think that the amount of time it took us to get to the "top" was pretty accelerated compared to the competition.

If I would've done anything different, it would be to delay the program a year. Unfortunately we couldn't get much data the first year of competition due to the DNF's. If only we would've waited another year, I think we would've had a better shot at developing something better. But as I said before, on-track testing is key to a healthy development and well... you can only get so much out of simulation.

Honda is probably the only Japanese production car that has a great engine, or a GTR or WRX STI.

F1 ia a joke now IMO, if anyone thinks ESL is rigged towards richclubs, the situation in F1 is worse.

If only we would've waited another year, I think we would've had a better shot at developing something better.

If my memory serves right, wasn't it Honda's plan to wait a year and keep developing and Mclaren pushed for a year earlier?

And that Mclaren was really difficult to deal with in terms of available space in the chassis/body for the engine and components?

F1 ia a joke now IMO, if anyone thinks ESL is rigged towards richclubs, the situation in F1 is worse.

While it is true that if a team has a lot of money to burn, they are more likely to win, as in many other sports. Ofcourse, there was a huge budget gap between teams. This year however, there is a budget cap for all teams to promote a level playingfield, which I think is a step in the right direction.

Honda was a motorcycle co. that produced first two cars for Japanese market in 1963. T360
was a mini truck & S500 a sports car.

That same year 1963 Jim Clark WON 7 grand prix races dominated the field winning the world championship in the Lotus 25.

Honda could see that the Lotus was a game changer. So the next year 1964 he entered his race car to F1. Like Lotus monocoque chassis,
Double wishbone suspension front & rear.

Lotus & Ferrari were running 1.5L 8 cylinder engines. Honda had 1.5L transverse mounted
V12.

First year didn't win any races learning on the fast track. 1965 entered the second car RA272
It won the Mexican grand prix with American driver. It is my only Honda diecast. Later John Surtees 4 time 500cc world motorcycle champion drove for Lotus, Ferrari, & later the Honda 3L F1 had quite a few victories.

IMG_20210428_125108840_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210428_125720619.jpg
IMG_20210428_124628842.jpg
IMG_20210428_124508007.jpg
IMG_20210428_130956810_HDR.jpg

Last year I saw a couple of awesome F1 cars at the Phoenix Museum of Art Legends of Speed exhibit.

Dan Gurney's All-American Eagle - Westlake
0306pm02.jpg

Jimmy Clark's Lotus - this was his Indy 500 car, not F1
0306pm03.jpg

Mario Andretti's John Player Special Lotus
0306pm01.jpg

That's cool is that Legends of Speed a on going
exhibit? That's what got me into vintage 1/18 F1 race cars. A museum in Vegas. The Lotus 25
Blew me away.

That's cool is that Legends of Speed a on going
exhibit? That's what got me into vintage 1/18 F1 race cars. A museum in Vegas. The Lotus 25
Blew me away.
No, it was only for a few months last year. They had a bunch of cool cars.

Portugal this weekend F1 grand prix & World Surf League kicks of the men & woman's season in good surf at Margarite River Pro
Down Under.

A question for you, Jaszer13. Mechanics argue about tool brands the way this forum discusses knives. What is popular in F1 these days? Do the teams all have tool sponsors? That doesn't seem as common as the old days of bright orange Beta cars. Do the teams buy their own tools now? Or do the technicians supply their own? And what brand(s) is popular?

A question for you, Jaszer13. Mechanics argue about tool brands the way this forum discusses knives. What is popular in F1 these days? Do the teams all have tool sponsors? That doesn't seem as common as the old days of bright orange Beta cars. Do the teams buy their own tools now? Or do the technicians supply their own? And what brand(s) is popular?

Good question and as odd as this may sound. There are no free tools in F1. We receive discounts from all of the tool manufacturers and sometimes receive free tools when we collaborate on themed kits, but we go through so many of them that by the time the season is over we have almost every brand in the tool kit.

It's also worth noting that we all have our own preferred tools. In Honda US we use Snap-on. Honda JP uses mostly Kyoto, Redbull uses Wera.

Looking forward to street racing at Monaco.
Lando Norris been driving good see if he can move up.

I'll also be watching, but can't say I'm a fan of the Monaco circuit. The race most often than not ends up being a parade.

It is so narrow that overtaking is next to impossible, so everything is won and lost at the quali or pitstop. There are no runoffs, so 1 mistake and you're done.

But do hope that Max will win it, just to keep the championship exciting 😁

Looking forward to street racing at Monaco.
Lando Norris been driving good see if he can move up.

Monaco is one of my favourites,,, although it can sometimes be a "parade". The race is often "won" in quali.

Look out for an early safety car. Turn 1 should be "hairy" if both Max and Lewis start on the front row, and at the back-end, a lot of the new drivers who haven't raced here before, will be hard pressed to make it beyond lap 1. An early crash could force a re-start, and that could really upset things in a hurry.

Lando's team-mate (Danny Ricciardo) has won here before. Max's best finish was 4th.(P2, and a penalty knocked him down to 4th)

I'm hoping Leclerc can do well in his "home" race. I'd like to see Ferrari starting to score podiums this year. Only 5 points separating McLaren and Ferrari.

I'd also like to see Checo doing well in this one. He's got the car, and the experience. It'll be interesting to see how the old-guard fare as well,,, Fernando, Kimi, and Seb.

Monaco is "Camelot",,,,, Lights Out,,,,go,go.go.go,GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back