Any F1 fans here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, Alpha Tauri did not fare well today, thanks especially to Fernando, who drove a MasterClass race today. Great points for Alpine.

Horner got called into the stewards after the race, and was issued a "warning" about criticizing the FIA and the marshals who waved the yellow flags, resulting in a penalty to Max. I wouldn't be surprised if Helmut Marko also get summoned at one point; after he was very critical of the FIA in an interview with the Spanish Press. We've just gotta "Love" the FIA,,,,,,, don't we????

As for Lewis,,,, what can you say??? . Lewis was just being the 7-time World Champion that he is,,, for the 102nd time.

On to Saudi Arabia. If Lewis and Max finish as they did today, and Lewis takes fastest lap, they'll be tied,,, dead even going into Abu Dhabi for the season finale.

Great showing from team Red Bull, who outscored team Mercedes (31 points to 25 ) despite Lewis's win. (Bottas DNF) Hat's off to Checo as well, who drove a great result (P4) considering yesterday's qualifying result (P11)

Last edited:
If Max can win one race he has it. Hamilton must win both. His Honda had fastest lap today. Perez passed plenty cars today having to do it again as he made pit stops. Came in forth place.

Mercedes & Hamilton have the charge at end of season.

If Max can win one race he has it. Hamilton must win both. His Honda had fastest lap today. Perez passed plenty cars today having to do it again as he made pit stops. Came in forth place.

Mercedes & Hamilton have the charge at end of season.
Actually, if Lewis wins with a Mercedes 1-2 in Saudi Arabia, he'll be in the lead, then, he'd have to finish in any position that's ahead of Max in Abu Dhabi. If they somehow end up tied at the end of the season, then whoever has the most wins, wins the championship.

Valtteri's performance will be crucial in Saudi Arabia. Don't be surprised if Mercedes drops a new ICE in Valtteri's car for the Saudi G.P. They could even add one to Lewis's car.

By the way, construction at the Saudi circuit is still not fully completed, but the race is expected to run on time. I believe Michael Masi visited the Saudi circuit this past weekend, to see how work-completion is coming along.

Last edited:
It is exciting I'm rooting for Max, but Hamilton has the bit between his teeth.

Maybe more importantly, so does Toto. This is the most passionate I've ever seen him. He's going to pull out all the stops. Alonso was once quoted as saying "Don't ever bet against Toto".

Last edited:
Actually, if Lewis wins with a Mercedes 1-2 in Saudi Arabia, he'll be in the lead, then, he'd have to finish in any position that's ahead of Max in Abu Dhabi. If they somehow end up tied at the end of the season, then whoever has the most wins, wins the championship.

Valtteri's performance will be crucial in Saudi Arabia. Don't be surprised if Mercedes drops a new ICE in Valtteri's car for the Saudi G.P. They could even add one to Lewis's car.

By the way, construction at the Saudi circuit is still not fully completed, but the race is expected to run on time. I believe Michael Masi visited the Saudi circuit this past weekend, to see how work-completion is coming along.

It seems like the penalty for dropping new ICE
In Brazil was worth it. Why not do it again. I'm
not really up on what is legal to do with existing ICE in the car between races. Can't they do engine overhauls using same block?

It seems like the penalty for dropping new ICE
In Brazil was worth it. Why not do it again. I'm
not really up on what is legal to do with existing ICE in the car between races. Can't they do engine overhauls using same block?

The "block" in the older Mercedes engines was the problem,,, and was the reason they added a new engine to their engine-pool in Brazil. Mercedes had found that the older block's performance were dropping off prematurely, and they discovered that this was due to the blocks developing hairline cracks. Apparently, they had received a batch of those blocks, which were due to bad castings.

Mercedes has already stated that they'll be using the new engine again in Saudi Arabia;,,,, the same engine they used in Brazil. Mercedes did not use that new engine in Qatar. This time however, there won't be a grid penalty involved..

I know that Valtteri received a new engine a short time ago,,, but I'm not sure if that was the newest version... nor do I know if they've actually used that engine yet. I believe that was either at the U.S. Grand Prix, or perhaps Mexico. I'd have to check.

OK, I just checked, and it was at the U.S. Grand Prix.

Last edited:
In season engine upgrades are forbidden this season and next year there will be an engine freeze. However, there are still ways to squeeze more performance out of them. More aggressive engine mapping, more efficient battery, losing some weight somewhere to increase the BHP to KG ratio, stuff like that.

Enjoyed the race. Really, Max and Lewis are in a league of their own. It still amazes me how much faster those guys are then their teammates. With the mercs pace, Saudi should be a slam dunk for Lewis. It's going to get down to the wire.

I just checked Valtteri's performance over the last few races prior to Qatar where he DNF'd;

finished 6th at U.S. GP, started 9th
finished 15th at Mexican G,P., started on pole
finished 3rd in Brazil, started on pole

Valtteri also took engine penalties at Monza and Russia

Don't get it your saying Hamilton can put in Ice for Saudi race with no penalty.

What if Honda wanted to change to new engine
for Max they would get penalty.

The max number of changes per item is below, once they exceed the max. allowed, they incur grid penalties. Timing a penalty seems to be a new strategic element, as the five grid position loss is nothing compared to the additional power of a new engine.

Internal Combustion Engine – 3
MGU-H – 3
Turbocharger – 3
MGU-K – 3
Energy Store – 2
Control Electronics – 2

Don't get it your saying Hamilton can put in Ice for Saudi race with no penalty.

What if Honda wanted to change to new engine
for Max they would get penalty.
This is the new ICE for which he took the penalty in Brazil. But you take that penalty only once, after that the new ICE is in roulation and can be used whenever.

lewis and max are so in sync with their cars right now it's great to watch. they've really separated themselves from the rest of the field. hopefully nothing unlucky happens in Saudi and we get to watch the championship come down to the last race.

Thanks Koop I watched some short vids to learn about modern F1. This video was by far best I've ever seen.

Amen to that. Frank led his team to 16 F-1 World Championship titles. I was a staunch Williams fan back in the days of Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve.

9 hours to go before qualifying in Saudi Arabian G.P. Ultra-fast circuit. This could be very interesting,,,, who'll emerge on pole after quali? After FP-2, Max has the best 1-lap quali-simulation over Lewis, by .01 second. Mind you, those FP-2 times can be so misleading, due mostly to unknown fuel-loads.

FP-2 Race-pace simulations show Mercedes ahead of Ferrari by .50 seconds, and ahead of Red Bull by 0.58 seconds.

The Red Bull was pretty fast today, clocking the highest speeds I've seen from them all year. I believe they hit 319 KPH through the speed trap at one point. They're probably going with a low downforce set-up, which is often problematic for the high-rake RB insofar as tire degradation is concerned. Hmmm. That might have been their quali-simulation lap.

I've got a feeling that safety-cars will play a big role in this G.P.

Well,,, what can you say? Pierre Gasly 6th in quali, and may start 5th,,,, if Max needs a new gearbox. Tsunoda also did well, and may start 7th.

The Ferrari's have also raised their game over the last few races, and Leclerc starts 4th,,, or possibly 3rd.

Wouldn't you know it, before the quali session even starts, Lewis is called to the stewards again,,,, for TWO yellow flag infractions in the practice sessions that ended up being no infraction at all. The FIA even said that the yellow flag was "accidental" (their fault). Then,,,, after closing the case without penalizing Lewis, they later re-open the case, and notify the other teams that they can protest the decision,,,, if they want to. Is there something wrong with this picture????? Why would they wait until minutes before quali to call Lewis in when the "supposed infractions" occurred in the practice sessions?????? Something smells pretty bad there.

The Honda powered cars are doing really well. The Red Bulls are faster than I've ever seen them, and so are the Alpha Tauri's.

As for the track,,, I thought at first that it would be a great track, however, I think passing will be next to impossible. I hope we're not going to be watching a "Monaco-style Parade". At the moment, it's looking like the championships will be decided next weekend at the season finale, in Abu Dhabi.

Last edited:
Yeah, what a quali. My remote almost went trough the room when max crashed that last corner. He was 0.3 ahead of Hamilton. Suprised though, the Honda's being so fast here. Thought for sure this was going to be a slam dunk for Mercedes/Hamilton.

Just in, max's gearbox does not need replacing, so no grid penalty. When looking at the pace of those Honda's, we could be in for an exciting race. With the long straight, overtaking should be possible with DRS. For the rest of the circuit, I also think it's going to be hard.

Hamilton was indeed summoned for 2 incidents. Have to admit that I've been busy this weekend, so haven't followed everything, but one incident wasn't even a double yellow and the other incident the yellow went out a couple of hundred meters before Hamilton was there? Lot of drama because of nothing if you ask me.....

Yeah, what a quali. My remote almost went trough the room when max crashed that last corner. He was 0.3 ahead of Hamilton. Suprised though, the Honda's being so fast here. Thought for sure this was going to be a slam dunk for Mercedes/Hamilton.
Christian Horner's expression said it all. So close yet so far. Seems like an exciting high speed track...... so long as there's at least one good overtaking spot. The downforce they are generating is incredible judging by the suspension compression and fireworks show (even with DRS activated)

Terrible track, it made it a spectacle. Super interesting because of how tight the championship is, but no excuse, that track is not right for F1

Terrible track, it made it a spectacle. Super interesting because of how tight the championship is, but no excuse, that track is not right for F1
For me the F1 organization (Masi et al) were a major contributing factor. They didn't seem to be in control throughout the race. Sets us up for a potentially explosive final round. If both drivers fail to finish, Verstappen takes the championship. Who said F1 was boring and predictable.

Back