Any Hibachi Chefs here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lefty Misono Molybdenum (AUS-8) might fit that description for your purposes. (M1k3 mentioned MACs, which are AUS-8 if I remember correctly, so I'm guessing the Misono would be similar and also available in a lefty version.)

Or for a bit of a more speculative choice, have you contacted a Takayuki dealer about the lefty models of their Grand Chef AEB-L line?

Last edited:
A lefty Misono Molybdenum (AUS-8) might fit that description for your purposes. (M1k3 mentioned MACs, which are AUS-8 if I remember correctly, so I'm guessing the Misono would be similar and also available in a lefty version.)

Or for a bit of a more speculative choice, have you contacted a Takayuki dealer about the lefty models of their Grand Chef AEB-L line of gyutos?

That’s a good idea about Takayuki… I’ll look for that, also thanks for the misono tip

In every Teppanyaki place in Japan I've been in I think I have only seen Sujihikis being used.
I can't remember what I've seen in those Benihanas' in the US. First time I went (1973) it was really strange to me that instead of Teppanyaki, the term Hibachi (which means something else entirely) was coined by Rocky Aoki. I read that one of his daughters has a restaurant in NYC but I never had a chance to go there.
0213_2383_ph3.jpg

In every Teppanyaki place in Japan I've been in I think I have only seen Sujihikis being used.
Did you see any particular preferences about the sujihiki's used?

Is teppanyaki in Japan a lot different from that in the US? (If this risks a thread-hijacking, I'll take it to PM.)

Last edited:
Did you see any particular preferences about the sujihiki's used?

Is teppanyaki in Japan a lot different from that in the US? (If this risks a thread-hijacking, I'll take it to PM.)

Didn't watch or notice the knives. Sorry...lol
My recollection of Teppanyaki in the US is of tables where groups sit and the chef cooks (and performs).
The ones I've been to in Japan have been a counter seating all facing the chef, and no performances.

I have done teppanyaki to fill in, but I wouldn’t call myself a teppanyaki guy.

Everybody I worked around always used cheap, soft stainless. Repeated contact with the flatiron straight up wrecks edges. Best in mind that my experience in this realm is more than 20 years old, but the guys I was around would literally go buy the discount flea market carving set.

Their prep knives were totally different and much nicer, but the ones on the grill were basically as cheap as possible.

Back