Any idea what these knives are?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks! I bought a couple of cheap knives in poor shape because I desperately needed a project (and a big knife all I've got is my 7" daily driver). Both are going to be thinned, repolished, and rehandled in addition to some small things like rounding and polishing the choils and spines. Here they are. Any clue what they might be? I was guessing the #3 on the small one is stand for SK3
IMG_2653.jpg
IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Hi Folks! I bought a couple of cheap knives in poor shape because I desperately needed a project (and a big knife all I've got is my 7" daily driver). Both are going to be thinned, repolished, and rehandled in addition to some small things like rounding and polishing the choils and spines. Here they are. Any clue what they might be? I was guessing the #3 on the small one is stand for SK3

Your Petty is a Kiya brand 木屋. The #3 represents a Japanese Carbon Steel model. #6 represents a Swedish Carbon Steel mobel. Kiya, like many Japanese brands do not make clear which carbon steel they use although it;' a good bet that it's a SK steel.
The Gyuto, I'm not sure. The kanji looks like 承正 (Shoumasa).

Last edited:
Nice finds. Giving a little love to a piece like one of those has been starting to interest me as of late. Can't wait to see them after your handiwork!

HC

Nice finds. Giving a little love to a piece like one of those has been starting to interest me as of late. Can't wait to see them after your handiwork!

HC

Thanks, man! I actually just popped the handle off the smaller one. Using a butter knife and nail file I had around my dorm. Unfortunately, the tang rot was further along than I thought so the project will have to wait until I return to my shop.

Thank you! You are definitely right about the second character but the first is much more complex than what you have written. Although it is stamped very deep and hard to read.

There is no kanji that I am aware of that "perfectly matches" the character on your knife.
It is not uncommon in Japanese knifemaking where a Kanji that is completely out of use, or
does not even exist is used, and read a certain way, as chosen by the owner. Or it is written in such a style
that it dioes not "match" the character as printed on paper or screen.

If that character is stanmped very deep as you say, please run black ink over it to make itn stand out.
Or, put a thin sheet of paper over it and make a soft lead pencil rubbing.

One interpretation could be 久 and 米 arbitrairily put together to be read Kume. If so, it would be KumeMasa.
However, that's not a known name, whereas ShouMasa is an actual existing name.
In either case, that brand is (likely long) out of production.
I am not making guesses here, I am Japanese. I

Latest posts

Back