Looking to add a Japanese santoku! Have some picked out but open to suggestions!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECUSteve

Reaction score
Looking to buy a Japanese santoku and have narrowed down my choices but with so many knife makers. So any good/bad reviews would be appreciated to make sure I’m getting a good blade!

Shibata Kotestsu AS (Aogami super steel)
Fujimoto Nashiji (blue #2)
Anryu Kurouchi (white #2, damascus)
Shigeki Tanaka (blue #2)
Makoto (white #2)

EDIT: Questionnaire added
LOCATION- USA
KNIFE TYPE
Japanese Santoku
Right handed
Japanese handle
160mm-180mm

Do you require a stainless knife? No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150

KNIFE USE
Home use. Mainly for slicing, dicing, mincing vegetables, greens, etc

What knife, if any, are you replacing? -Just a cheaper santoku that I’ve had for a long while now

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Push cut, chopping

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) -I currently have a cheap santoku that I use a lot and would like something sharper and of better quality.

Better aesthetics- Damascus is neat looking but not needed. Big fan of darker handles such as walnut, rosewood, etc

Comfort- improved balance. And not a fan of the western style grip on my current santoku

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?- Wood and occasionally synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives?- Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?- I am interested in learning more on carbon knife care

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?- Yes

Last edited:
I agree w dafox! That said, i can highly recommend Tanaka blue 2 dammy...

Anryu and Shiba are both great--and polar opposites. How did you make this list?

The Shiba was a recommendation, but also slightly over my price point. And with the others I basically went through the common Japanese knife retailers online stores, searched in my price range, and picked out knives that were aesthetically pleasing and had good reviews. Then I searched each knife maker on forums, reddit, youtube to find any good/bad and narrowed my list more. So what remains checks a lot of boxes for me and I have found some good things here and there. But I also wanted more info so that’s how I ended up here.

Might be good to fill out the "Which knife should I buy" questionnaire.
Thanks, I’ll fill it out. Was mainly looking got feedback on the makers, but understandably members may have further recommendations based on what I’m looking for. Thanks

I agree w dafox! That said, i can highly recommend Tanaka blue 2 dammy...
That knife has stood out to me the most out of all. Just love the aesthetics and was hoping to hear good feedback. Thanks!

Back